Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting tired of seeing this

Regular Vistor
    The DHCP Enable Disable Option solves the vast majority of this anoying problem.

I even spend some $ trying to solve this before discovering the problem was the DHCP.

My suggestion to Apex is to put this as the priority into Diagnosis Recommendations, Heartbeat etc. Can save a lot of time.

Thanks

In general with computing it's not uncommon for a firmware update to expose a hardware issue that just hadn't caused problems before. Only Neptune could say for sure if they care to do a deep dive on the unit once they get it back.
    But yes, that many disconnects in such a short time is just crazy. Sounds like you've gone through everything imaginable in troubleshooting!
    don_chuwish
    Southern Oregon

New User
    I am going to disable the DHCP option right now to see what happens. I'll post again to let people know if the problem goes away or not. Thanks for sharing your experience. (I expect to receive the replacement Base Unit sometime next week.)

When you disable the Apex DHCP and set a static IP address, be sure to set it to something that won't conflict with other devices in your home or your router's DHCP table. In addition to setting the static IP on the Apex, you can also usually set the router itself to reserve that same IP address for use by the Apex and only the Apex. You typically find this Address Reservation function under the Advanced LAN settings of your router.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Petersen. I’ll invest some more time during the weekend configuring my new router.

Regular Vistor
    Disabling the DHCP has been working for me.

New User
    Thanks for the additional info. I 'disabled' DHCP in Apex configuration but did nothing else having to do with assigning a static IP in the Apex or the router because I wasn't knowledgeable enough to know that I needed to. (A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!) At least nothing blew up or burned down as a result. Ha! I think that instead of wading in any deeper I'd prefer at this point to wait for the replacement Base Unit and hope that does the trick. If it doesn't, then into deeper water I'll be going. I can always raise the question with Neptune Support directly if the replacement unit develops the same bad disconnection habit. Thanks again for all the input guys. I appreciate it and will keep you updated.

Static is pretty simple just keep all the same configuration that DHCP gave you by default but increase the least octet of the ip address it gave you to a larger number that you can easily remember and is between 50 and 254. Ex 192.168.1.8 would become 192.168.1.50 or 192.168.1.123

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Yeah in a small home network you can get away with just setting the device's IP static on the device itself (whether Apex, printer, TV, whatever) as long as YOU keep track of them and never duplicate. If you can comfortably configure your router's DHCP (don't go messing with things if you don't really get it!) then it's better to set a DHCP reservation on the router. I just take the current IP that DHCP has already assigned and use that. Then maybe ALSO set it static on the device (same IP of course!). That way there will never be duplicates assigned out by DHCP and you'll never set duplicates manually by accident.

https://lifehacker.com/5822605/how-t...-address-again
    don_chuwish
    Southern Oregon

New User
    I have a cautiously optimistic report today. The latest Base Unit that Neptune Systems sent to me has now been running (hardwired and DHCP enabled) without a dropped connection to Fusion for approximately 72 hours. All aquarium equipment is plugged into the EB832 and operating as programmed. If this continues, it seems most likely that the root cause of the dropped connection issue resided within the Apex Base Units themselves. However, if this Base Unit begins to drop connection to Fusion then the root cause is back in question. In the meantime, it sure is great to have the Apex back again! "Thank you" to Neptune Systems Support and to everyone who offered their help via this forum. I appreciate it and maybe I'll be able to return the favor sometime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12