Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting tired of seeing this

Regular Vistor

Getting tired of seeing this

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 8.50.41 PM.png

How often does your Apex get disconnected from fusion?

Mine only disconnects during power outages and when comcast goes down. 0 disconnects since Dec 2nd.

It has been a reasonably common occurrence with some people with the latest firmware (which I also have, but don't have the bug) due to a uncommon but prevalent enough to be noticed network related bug. It's possible you may be in the bugs camp.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Hi,

May or may not be related, I have just joined the Apex club only a month or so ago.

I was also having the same issues - some days it would be more of a pain, some days nothing - very irregular. I tried hard connection and also WiFi

I read in a post somewhere on this site, cannot find it now. But a fellow apex user was in IT and suggested dirty power could be the issue.

So I purchased a THOR (AUST Manufacture) power filter device - https://www.thortechnologies.com.au/...v=6cc98ba2045f - for my Apex and also my Computer (modem is on that power source).

From that day forward - I have had zero issues........... could be isolated..............I will let you be the judge

Regular Vistor
    The unit should reconnect on it's own.

New User
    Yup that is so annoying and i still get that once in a while. I always had to reset the apex and sometimes the router. I even had times when my apex completely 'froze' and it stuck the heater on overnight. Luckily it only brought the tank temp to 82ish and i did not sustain losses.

What i did very recenty is change the router my apex is connected to. It was previously connected to a pretty old one. Hopefully this does the trick. Unfortunately though as of now, the $100 reefkeeper lite on my 20g quarantine tank is more reliable than my $800 apex on my 120g SPS tank.

Im starting to feel that the feature of connecting to the internet wirelessly is a dangerous liability. Im not sure if the disconnection problems will persist if its also connected via ethernet cable, which admittedly i need to make happen but is not an easy solution in my home. But recently i have been thinking that it might be safer to disable internet connectivity altogether when I travel (which i do often) and let the apex run as it is programmed without internet communication. I dont know if this is possible though.

Anyway thats my ramble rant.

GL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Wow thats scary. My apex is hardwired to the latest and greatest router. The problem is in the Apex software.

Regular Vistor
    Oh look what a surprise, off line again.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 8.47.43 PM.png

New User
    Just got my 2016 up and running about 3 weeks ago (my first controller), and I was having the exact same issue... I think the log said I had something like 52 or 54 disconnections within the second day of it running. I'm sitting there trying to play with a new toy, learning to do some coding, and constantly getting this message... to say it was aggravating was beyond an understatement, so I feel your frustration. I had rebooted everything multiple times to no avail... I don't know why I thought of it, but I finally went mid-evil and rebooted the entire house. Shut down & unplugged all of the computers, turned off the main breaker and left it off for about 5 minutes, then kicked it back on.... not a single problem since. I have absolutely zero idea why this worked, but it did.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
    Just got my 2016 up and running about 3 weeks ago (my first controller), and I was having the exact same issue... I think the log said I had something like 52 or 54 disconnections within the second day of it running. To say it was aggravating was beyond an understatement, so I feel your frustration. I had rebooted everything multiple times to no avail... I don't know why I thought of it, but I finally went mid-evil and rebooted the entire house. Shut down & unplugged all of the computers, turned off the main breaker and left it off for about 5 minutes, then kicked it back on.... not a single problem since. I have absolutely zero idea why this worked, but it did.
    The problem is with their controllers inability to reconnect to the internet.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by gpwdr View Post
    The problem is with their controllers inability to reconnect to the internet.
    You're right.. So what's the fix? Do you need to use a pin to reset and set up as new again. I have done that successfully twice but its just a pain. Like you, even a brief power outage like we had earlier this week for 20 minutes brings me to the error message you keep getting. I may call apex today and see what they say.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by minemann View Post
    You're right.. So what's the fix? Do you need to use a pin to reset and set up as new again. I have done that successfully twice but its just a pain. Like you, even a brief power outage like we had earlier this week for 20 minutes brings me to the error message you keep getting. I may call apex today and see what they say.
    I have to manually push the reset button on the unit for it to reset. Not good when I travel.

I have to manually push the reset button on the unit for it to reset. Not good when I travel.
    If you have this problem, use a static ip address instead of DHCP. This is usually the result of a very slow router that boots after the apex requested an ip address and then blocks it from trying again.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    If you have this problem, use a static ip address instead of DHCP. This is usually the result of a very slow router that boots after the apex requested an ip address and then blocks it from trying again.

But I don't have a slow router I have a very fast gaming router?

Regular Vistor
    Oh look I tried to get into Apex Fusion to change the DHCP and found this;
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 3.24.44 PM.png

Slow to boot, not slow in general is what I meant.

Oh look I tried to get into Apex Fusion to change the DHCP and found this;
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 3.24.44 PM.png
    Change it in apex local.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Change it in apex local.

Ok I'll try it zombie

Wondering if changing to static IP helped? Generally speaking I would suggest any device you have regularly connected on a home network gets a static IP assigned. Whether on WiFi or hard wired.
    don_chuwish
    Southern Oregon

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by don_chuwish View Post
    Wondering if changing to static IP helped? Generally speaking I would suggest any device you have regularly connected on a home network gets a static IP assigned. Whether on WiFi or hard wired.
    So far it's working?

New User
    Any body have else have success with a power filter? Never had such issue with Ac3. The 2016 seemed to do this like every other month. Newer cca electrical components can be more sensitive if more "value" oriented parts are chosen. Power reset to fix. Dosent help when out of town. (Mabye need a controller for my controller :-)
    IMG_8012.jpg
    Linksys Latest router and firmware , Hardwire and wifi,router reboots don't solve. Router does recognize. But not fusion.

This happened to me during the last overdue update, i dread them all. Email customer support.
    Punctuation, spell checking and proper use of grammar will get you the answers you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by BarNaCle View Post
    Any body have else have success with a power filter?
    At first I was having frequent reboots and Fusion disconnects on my Apex. After I put the entire tank on a CyberPower UPS, the Apex reboots disappeared. I can't prove that cleaner power fixed the Apex's issues, but I suspect this to be the case, and others have reported similar experiences.

You could also try using a power adapter for the apex to help identify this condition. A DC power adapter would help hide AC power fluctuations from the apex which may be present on the Aquabus.

Also, I'd like to mention one very common cause of bizarre Apex disconnects. The problem is unidentified IP address conflicts with other devices on your network. It's mentioned in other threads but worth mentioning again. Some devices, like cams, wifi extenders, etc don't always play nice, especially if they've been set up with a static IP and then forgotten. With some router software, like Netgear Genie for example, you can actually watch the conflict happen in near- real time, as the same IP address flickers between one device and another. It can cause your Apex to stop communicating, cause your Apex to reboot, and cause your router to reboot as well.

Recently, my Apex has been perfectly stable, but I found my router to be rebooting now and then, which shouldn't happen. Traced it to two IP conflicts between bridge/extender devices and recently installed smart plugs. Reconfigured things and no more router reboots.

New User
    My Apex is 16-17 months old and has run flawlessly until recently. I have the same disconnect issue being discussed in this thread which started in early December 2017. Shortly before (I couldn't tell you a date) I updated firmware which I always do as soon as the updates become available. I don't know if the timing is 'cause and effect' or merely a coincidence. I opened a ticket with Neptune Support on 12/12 and we're still working to resolve. My Base Unit drops the connection to Fusion frequently. By 'frequently' I mean in excess of 900 times in 24 hours lately. Most of the time the Base Unit reconnects by itself but eventually it fails to do so and the unit stays disconnected until I reset it manually. My ISP (AT&T) has been out several times to ensure that the internet service line is clean and consistent.The modem/router was replaced as part of troubleshooting this problem and I've switched from wireless to hardwired connection via ethernet cable. Modem/router and Apex Base Unit have been re-booted, I don't know how many times, which yields very short term relief (maybe a few hours). I've plugged the EB832 into my UPS to eliminate power fluctuations as a possible root cause. Nothing has worked so far. Yesterday morning Neptune Support called to tell me they've been monitoring reports from my Apex Base Unit remotely and have determined that the problem is Apex Base Unit hardware related. We are in the process of doing a Base Unit exchange right now so I won't know if this fixes the issue or not until that has been accomplished. Neptune Support has been good to work with and hopefully we've got the gremlin cornered now. Don't know if anyone else's disconnection problem has the same root cause as mine or not, but maybe some of the things I mentioned above would fix your issue even if they didn't fix mine. I'll let you know if the Base Unit turns out to have been the problem or not when the replacement is up and running successfully for a few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast