Thread: Can I connect to Apex Fusion w/out a Display module?

New User

Can I connect to Apex Fusion w/out a Display module?

I bought a used Apex Lite which came with Display module, base unit, eb8, temp & ph probe. I bought it while knowing the display does not work. When watching videos and reading different threads, I'm seeing that the "new 2016 Apex" is specifically designed to purchase a display separately and Apex video uses an Amazon Kindle as an example of a "display for less than $50".
    But I can't find anything, anywhere that talks about whether you can do the same thing with an older Apex version?! And I am not sure at this point whether there is any way to get the "token" needed to activate Fusion, without the oem display?
    I would like to use the kindle in place of a "display module" for multiple reasons.
    1st and most important, I feel after extensive reading, that the display will be used very little after initial setup. As fusion is more accessible by smart phone and lap top.
    2nd I have a Kindle.. lol
    3rd I'd rather spend the money on a PM2 & probe.
    I've searched the forums and only found one thread that was pertinent from a few years ago.. hoping maybe something has improved since then, or new information is available?
    Any advice or links to pertinent topics would be greatly appreciated.

On the Classic Dashboard, there will be a APEX Fusion status tile. It should have a Link button. Click the Link button, and wait a brief time until it displays the token.

If that tile already says ApexFusion OK, see the middle topic in this thread: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ized-Apex-User

You cannot use a Kindle. That's just an ebook reader. The Amazon Fire tablets are what can be used.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thats just it... I cannot access my Dashboard (according all information I found following provided links) without using a Display Module. As the only way I can find, to obtain an IP address is thru the Display Module? And I need an IP address to get to Dashboard? I had hoped there was a way to use the Fire Tablet as a replacement for the Display, but it looks like I will have to buy a replacement, as I'm not finding any other way to find IP. It was my understanding from prior reading that the base unit was the Brain behind the system. But I must have mis understood...?
    I meant to say Amazon Fire not Kindle, mis spoke

There are a number of ways to discover the IP address of your Apex. You can download the Apex Browse utility, for one:

www.neptunesystems.com/ApexBrowse_mac.zip

www.neptunesystems.com/ApexBrowse_pc.zip

New User
    The answer to my original question is a resounding YES! It just takes some research.
    I'm not sure how many people have gone through a similar issue, in trying to achieve using an Amazon Fire tablet (in place of an apex display module) and not having an apex display module to connect to Fusion (which means trying to find your apex IP address and retrieving your Token through alternative means) Also, trying to restart, reboot and start fresh with a pre-owned unit that was connected to Fusion without having the help to disconnect from Fusion by previous owner. I hope this thread can provide some help to folks, that are going thru what I went through, with a little more help than I was able to get.

I went to Neptune Systems website and found firmware update page www.neptunesystems.com/firmware
    Then found my apex ~Neptune systems apex classic firmware update info~
    I read every word of this page but found some very important info when i scrolled down to:
    "To update the firmware follow the following procedure"
    This takes you through the process to update the firmware and update webpages (which is recommended done only with a direct ether net connection!)
    Afterwards, through this process I was able to find my IP address and a Token, by which I was able to connect all my devices to "Fusion" which I will use to program my apex controller, instead of the "Neptune Display Module" I was also able to reboot my Base through "Initialize All" and give a clean slate.

I hope this helps some of you struggling through the same issues. I am not an expert in this matter, I did a lot of research to find all this information out on my own. And I spent an entire day getting this all figured out.

Regular Vistor
    My display has gone blank, so I’ll be trying this process.