Thread: Vortech vs Gye With Apex

Regular Vistor

Vortech vs Gye With Apex

Hey guy this is a question that probably doesn't have a right or wrong answer but I figure I would like some input from people with experience. I currently only have one mp10Qd on my Red sea Reefer 170, I Would like to be able to control it with my Apex like everything else.

Which is would be a better setup or more reliable...

Gyre with icecap module or Getting the vortech wireless module for the apex and also adding wireless to my mp10. Im currently calculating which is also more cost effective.

This would be to control or ramp down during feed modes or night mode and also maybe change modes during the day.

Reliability is slightly better with the gyre because it's hardwired and not wireless, but both are pretty reliable. Vortechs are much easier to program though because you have modes available. Gyres have to use basic profiles, so it's trickier to get them to create turbulence. If you want the best of both worlds, get a WAV.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Reliability is slightly better with the gyre because it's hardwired and not wireless, but both are pretty reliable. Vortechs are much easier to program though because you have modes available. Gyres have to use basic profiles, so it's trickier to get them to create turbulence. If you want the best of both worlds, get a WAV.

I own WAV's, Gyres (XF250's), and MP40's so I have experience with all three. I can't say one is "more reliable" than another as I just had both of my Gyres seize as I am dosing some Kalk for a Dino battle. I've also used the WAV's but personally find the vibration on my system to be just a little more than I like. The MP40's are in place right now and have never had them fail due to them being wireless.

Zombie is correct from the programming standpoint. Don't waste your money on an Icecap Gyre Interface Module. I own one and I ended up using the Gyre's 3rd party controller as it's much simper and does a nice job for up to 2 pumps. Wav's are the cleanest IMO with one wire going into the tank. They create a lot of flow and I hope someday there is a smaller or less RPM version that might be available for smaller systems.

I love NS products, don't get me wrong, but I just keep going back to MP's....I have had no issue with the WXM and Fusion is setup as nicely for MP''s.. as it is for WAV pumps from a programming standpoint IMO.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post

I looked and I think it’s got too much power at even the lowest setting lol. A NANO version would be nice. I won’t mind it if it was ok at a lower setting since I’m sure one day I would upgrade tanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    I own WAV's, Gyres (XF250's), and MP40's so I have experience with all three. I can't say one is "more reliable" than another as I just had both of my Gyres seize as I am dosing some Kalk for a Dino battle. I've also used the WAV's but personally find the vibration on my system to be just a little more than I like. The MP40's are in place right now and have never had them fail due to them being wireless.

Zombie is correct from the programming standpoint. Don't waste your money on an Icecap Gyre Interface Module. I own one and I ended up using the Gyre's 3rd party controller as it's much simper and does a nice job for up to 2 pumps. Wav's are the cleanest IMO with one wire going into the tank. They create a lot of flow and I hope someday there is a smaller or less RPM version that might be available for smaller systems.

I love NS products, don't get me wrong, but I just keep going back to MP's....I have had no issue with the WXM and Fusion is setup as nicely for MP''s.. as it is for WAV pumps from a programming standpoint IMO.
    Yes a Nano version would be cool. I’m I remember correctly they are more like an mp40. Even my mp10 I don’t use at 100%.