Thread: ATK overfills (sometimes)

New User

ATK overfills (sometimes)

I have the ATK connected to an Innovative Marine 40 Gal tank (had to remove the float since it wouldn't fit) - my RO/DI reservoir is on the floor and I am filling the overflow (the chamber with the return pump). I installed the anti siphon on the high end (at the tank) since I was having a problem with water siphoning from the tank to the reservoir - the siphon problem has been fixed. My problem is, sometimes (not always) the ATK fills too much and triggers the alarm. This typically happens in the middle of the night (but sometimes during the day as well). Do the optical sensors require light? This tank is in a bedroom, so at night it is dark. When this happens I check the overflow and the water IS up over the top sensor, so for some reason the bottom sensor didn't turn off. The real problem is, it works fine 90% of the time, so diagnosing this is going to be a PITA. When the alarm happens I normally get up and unplug the unit and go back to bed (remember when I said it normally happens in the middle of the night??? ). The sensors are clean - this has only been set up for a week and it has done this since day 1. This is not connected to my Apex. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to try/check?
    Thanks!!!

Frequent Visitor
    Which alarm is being triggered (how many beeps?) 2 things I can think of off hand are that if something is obstructing the overflow and the level in the return section drops significantly, the ATK will start filling and then time out, then when the obstruction clears, the level rises too high. In similar fashion, if the ATK isn't running long enough to alarm during the fill stage it could trigger the overfill alarm when it rises above the upper sensor.

New User
    Thanks for the reply! Next time I get an alarm I will count the beeps. You bring up an intere point about the overflow getting blocked - I will check that. Thanks again

New User
    Hello, you solved your problem, I am going to put an IM Nuvo 15 with ATK and my question is to know if the sensors need lighting to work, because the back sumps are in darkness, thank fully

Quote Originally Posted by jjr8709 View Post
    Hello, you solved your problem, I am going to put an IM Nuvo 15 with ATK and my question is to know if the sensors need lighting to work, because the back sumps are in darkness, thank fully
    They do not need light. They work in the dark just fine.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.