Thread: I'm so frustrated with trying to calibrate my salinity probe! Please help.

Frequent Visitor

I'm so frustrated with trying to calibrate my salinity probe! Please help.

I've tried so many different things. I'm sick and tired of reading and trying to find an answer. Nothing has worked. I've tried the automatic probe calibration and it just sits there and spins with an error triangle next to the 'acceptable range.' I've tried the manual calibration and put in temperature control ranges from 0.5 to 3.0 and there has been no real difference. I've followed the instructions on the control freak site. nothing. I've followed directions from folks in old threads on forums. Nothing. What gives? I've calibrated my refractometer with two different calibration fluids as a redundant method. But how hard could it be for my probe to calibrate? What can I do? Can I get some help on this because its been extremely frustrating. This probe is less than 4 months old.
    Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425: Born on August 29, 2017

Frequent Visitor
    Turn off temp compensation.

What does the probe read in calibration fluid after doing manual calibration?

What are the settling numbers when doing manual calibration.

Temp compensation does not really affect the reading of the probe. What it does is smooth out the fluctuations caused by temp changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Manual calibration is usually around 37.5-38. I don't recall the settling numbers. But I can certainly make a note when I do this again tomorrow and provide those. What should they be doing? I was frustrated, so I stopped, disabled the probe in fusion, am letting it dry overnight and will try again tomorrow.

Frequent Visitor
    If it is not reading 34.9-35.1 in calibration fluid, it was not calibrated properly.

If you are consistently getting high values in your tank after manual calibration, 99.9% of the time the problem is not floating the calibration packet and keeping it at tank temp during the settling process. If you calibrate at room temp and your house is 72F but your tank is 78F, a tank at exactly 35ppt will read 42ppt.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    The other issue is having bubbles trapped in the probe while calibrating. That will cause a low reading n a low calibration. Then when you move it to the tank and the bubbles get dislodged the reading is high.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm out of Neptune's calibration fluid! So I ran up to the LFS and bought AccuraSea seawater reference/calibration solution. The ingredients are pure natural seawater at 53.0 mS (S 35). Does it have to be Neptune's calibration fluid?

I just put some in a vile and will acclimate it to the tank's temp. The probe was out of the tank all night drying. I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Frequent Visitor
    That should be fine.

Make sure to angle the probe so 1 of the holes on the side are pointed up and tap the probe to dislodge any bubbles.

Don’t be in a hurry to hit next. Let the readings settle. Can take a few minutes sometimes. Swish the probe once a while to see if the reading changes when you do (still have bubbles).

Take note of the settling numbers.

Leave it in the calibration fluid after finishing then go to the dashboard and see what it reads.

Frequent Visitor
    Okay. Tried it again. This time using a different calibration fluid. Same results.

The probe was out all night drying. I'd cleaned it well with RODI water just for kicks.

For this morning's test, I turned the temperature control to zero, updated fusion, let the fluid acclimate to tank temperature, then began manual calibration. When I started calibration, the dry settling numbers never moved and stayed at 779. On the next step, when I put the probe in the fluid the settling number started at 26 then jumped to 553, 577, 579, 580, and settled on 581.

THE SG WAS 38.6. The tank temp at the moment of calibration was 77.6.

The only thing I've not been able to do is invert the probe while its still in the solution. I realize bubbles can be a headache. But what I've done is tap the probe while in the solution in hopes it would dislodge any bubbles.

Is this really that hard?

As a side note, I've calibrated my refractometer twice with two different solutions. It looks to be reading about 34. so if that's correct, this probe is way off. And I have other concerns with my tank salinity as a whole. Need to bump that up a little. This all came about during a water change.

Frequent Visitor
    Looks like you need to reset the port.

Do calibration through the local dashboard n not Fusion.

I’m assuming this is a 2016 Apex?

Unplug the probe. Run through manual calibration. Don’t worry about settling numbers. Just hit next till it finishes.

Now restart the Apex. Misc > Restart

Go to Manual calibration. Offset should be 13 and scale should be -10ec.

If so, it is reset and you can plug the probe back in and redo manual calibration. Probe doesn’t have to be super dry. Blot it off with some paper towels should be enough.

Frequent Visitor
    Did not think about a probe reset. That's a good idea and my next step if this last attempt doesn't work.

Frequent Visitor
    When you say, "local dashboard" what do you mean? I control all through fusion so Im not familiar with another way.

Frequent Visitor
    This just occurred to me...can these probes be out of water for any amount of time? For example, during a water change?

These probes are in my sump. During a water change I drain my sump. So they are exposed to air for that time. Bad? Good? No big deal? Thought I'd ask after all this headache with calibration.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Conductivity and Temp probes yes, they are ok to go dry. pH probes shouldn't be let to try out for any extended period of time. I don't have an exact time on the pH probe but IMO out of the water for a water change probably won't hurt them unless your water change is hours long.

Local Dash-Term for the Classic Dash on you apex jr/classic etc accessed by typing the IP address and port number xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:yy in that format where x's are IP and Y's are the port in your browsers search bar. In Apex 2016 model, Apex Local is the term for the more "Local Dashboard" accessed the same way. You can do certain things in one that you can't do in the other. For example for Classic users a lot of the abilities to program and update modules etc aren't available via Fusion. You have to do them via the Classic Dashboard. On the 2106 model many of the programming/updating etc can be done right through Fusion.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Its official...just lost my mind! Reset the probe and now the calibration has come in higher reading 40 ppt.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussC View Post
    Its official...just lost my mind! Reset the probe and now the calibration has come in higher reading 40 ppt.
    WAIT! Sudden change in the reading. Its 34.9. I think I did it! Simple pleasures. Can anyone explain why I had such a high reading then a regular reading after my calibration?