Thread: Geo Reactor

Frequent Visitor

Geo Reactor

Currently I have my CalRx plugged in on a normal outlet. I wanna to plug it in my Apex 2016. I would like to control the solenoid between 6.9 to 6.8 melting point. Right now Im having a hard time getting the ph inside the calrx to stablize between those points. My alk in the tank is 9.1 and the alk in the effluent is 14.1

I have the marine depot solenoid and im concern about turning off and on. I heard it can mess up the solenoid if it goes on and off all the time.

With a .1 pH hysteresis the solenoid should be fine with the ON/OFF. Just adjust your needle valve so the pH ramp up is slow (20 minutes to an hour is ideal). Use this code to start.

Fallback OFF
    If pH2 > 6.89 Then ON
    If pH2 < 6.81Then OFF
    Defer 000:30 Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks zombie

Frequent Visitor
    So what happens if I wanted to lower my ph to 6.5 in the chamber should I just raise the bubble count? I’m at 1 bubble per second right now? I just don’t want to run my tank out and keep refilling

Quote Originally Posted by madstyle1 View Post
    So what happens if I wanted to lower my ph to 6.5 in the chamber should I just raise the bubble count? I’m at 1 bubble per second right now? I just don’t want to run my tank out and keep refilling
    You would need to both raise the bubble count and change the pH values in the code for large changes in ph bounds. For small changes, the bubble count can usually stay put so all you need to do is change the code. From past experience I would not suggest going as low as 6.5. If your effluent pump ever fails, you will come home to a pile of mush. If you keep it above 6.6 that problem goes away.

Once you have that all working and bubble count tuned, etc. You can add some alarms to alert you when there are problems with the reactor. XX needs to be 1.5 to 2 times the typical rise/on time of the pH graph and YY should be 1.5 to 2 times the typical fall/OFF time of the pH graph.

CO2empty
    Set OFF
    If Outlet Solenoid = ON Then ON
    Defer XXX:XX Then ON

(This detects empty cylinder, clog in CO2 supply, or failed needle wheel on effluent)

CaRxFlow
    Set OFF
    If Outlet Solenoid = OFF Then ON
    Defer YYY:YY Then ON

(This detects clogs in effluent flow, solenoid stuck ON, or circulation pump failure)

Frequent Visitor
    I’ll keep it at 6.7 to 6.8 then

Frequent Visitor
    if i set the alarms on how you have it will it know the code name co2 empty and carxflow?

- - - Updated - - -

im also confused on the the defer time on the alarms base on the graphs. can you elaborate alittle more on this?

After you get your bubble count and effluent flow tuned, take a look at your pH graph for the calcium reactor. There should be a fairly regular oscillating interval that it goes up and goes down (you can also look at the graph for the solenoid). The time it usually takes for the pH to rise from the low setpoint to the high setpoint is when the solenoid is off. If this takes longer than usual, it means the calcium reactor isn't getting enough flow. The time it usually takes for the pH to fall from the high setpoint to the low setpoint is when the solenoid is on. If this takes longer than usual it means the reactor isn't getting enough CO2.

Frequent Visitor
    this is what my graph looks now ... thoughts?

Screenshot (1).jpg

Bubble count is too low and/or effluent flow is too high. You aren't getting into the control bounds.

Frequent Visitor
    I’m at 30ml per minute on my effluent. What’s a good bubble count to compensate for that?

Quote Originally Posted by madstyle1 View Post
    I’m at 30ml per minute on my effluent. What’s a good bubble count to compensate for that?
    Good rule of thumb is 1 bubble per 4 drips. A drip is 1/4 - 1/2 ml. So somewhere between 60 and 120 bubbles per minute.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok thanks.