Thread: Core 20 Question about plumbing

New User

Core 20 Question about plumbing

Watched the video. Read the review. I want! So here's my question.

I am doing new plumbing. Apex recommends using 1.25" return pipe for maximum flow.

My 180g was created with a 3/4" bulkhead. (i know, not ideal) for the return line.

So if I do a 1.25" pipe all the way to the bulkhead and then convert to 3/4", will I lose a lot in head pressure? Or should I just run the 3/4 the whole way?

The line is 3/4" at the bulkhead, (2) 90 degree elbows, a gate valve and a union or 2. Simple setup.

Thanks in advance

Frequent Visitor
    for max flow, you want to run 1.25" pvc from the pump as far as you can, ideally all the way to the 3/4" bulkhead. the 3/4" bulkhead will introduce head pressure, but not as much as a complete run a 3/4" pipe.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikserk View Post
    for max flow, you want to run 1.25" pvc from the pump as far as you can, ideally all the way to the 3/4" bulkhead. the 3/4" bulkhead will introduce head pressure, but not as much as a complete run a 3/4" pipe.
    That's what I was thinking... but wanted to make sure. Even a small loss will still give me enough turn over to make this viable. Thanks!

Frequent Visitor
    Ditto Ikserk's comments above. Head loss is additive so your total head loss will be Bulkhead Loss + Pipe Loss. having larger plumbing up to the bulkhead will always give you lower head loss. How much lower and whether the difference is significant is depending on your plumbing and flow, but it will never be higher.

If you can't get enough flow with that setup, you can consider having the return go up and over the top - that would allow you to use larger pipe the entire way up.

The question should not be which will give you more flow (bigger will always give more flow until it's so big it cavitates). The real question is what flow do you actually need?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The question should not be which will give you more flow (bigger will always give more flow until it's so big it cavitates). The real question is what flow do you actually need?
    True. If you are running your pumps faster than necessary you are wasting energy and needlessly adding heat to your system. Undersizing the plumbing will also do the same thing by making the pump work harder for the same flow, so you really should do both - determine how much flow you need, then optimize the plumbing.

Also, remember that your circulation pump provides flow through your sump (and reactors if you have a manifold,) but if all you need is more flow in the tank, power heads are often a cheaper and more efficient means.

New User
    Thanks for the answers, guys.
    I came here to find out more info on the Cor-20 pump and I find locals providing the answers.