Thread: Filling ATO Reservoir with RO/DI, Solenoid, and OS-1

Regular Vistor

Filling ATO Reservoir with RO/DI, Solenoid, and OS-1

I have an ATO reservoir that has a mechanical float valve, that is fed directly from my RO/DI (with plenty of water pressure).

The reservoir also as an OS-1M at the bottom, as a low level sensor. I used this sensor to send me an alarm when the water is low. Then I would manually open up a ballhead that would allow water to fill the ATO reservoir. At some point it will shutoff from the mech float valve, and I'll eventually go and manually close the ball valve again just in case.

Now, I just purchased a Solenoid, another FMM (w/ power supply), to do the above for me. Note: I have an extra OS-1 that I could use as a high level sensor just below the mechanical float valve, but it's not working and I'm trying to get a replacement from Neptune at the moment, but at some point I'll integrate that in as well.

I was wondering how to program my Solenoid to open for about 15 minutes after the low water sensor is "OPEN"

Here's what I'm thinking: When the low level sensor (let's call it ATO_LO) is OPEN, I'll open the solenoid by turning it ON for 15 minutes. That'll allow the reservoir to be filled and the mechanical float valve will catch it when it's full (my RO/DI has an ASOV). I'll defer 10 seconds before turning on just as a buffer (my ATK task was setup this way too). And I won't refill more than once in an hour (I probably only need it to fill once every 4 days actually, but 1 hour is good just to make sure things aren't leaking/flooding for some reason).

Code for the solenoid:
    Code:
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATO_LO OPEN Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 0015:00 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

That code is correct for what you describe. The Min Time isn’t really necessary. It can only run for 15 min, regardless of flooding or leaks. It won’t be able to refill again until it reaches the low point.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the reply. The min time is if, let's say, the reservoir has a leak or the PMUP is just going nuts with water. If it fills for 15 minutes, and then drains right away, it'll keep it from immediately opening the solenoid again.

Quote Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The min time is if, let's say, the reservoir has a leak or the PMUP is just going nuts with water. If it fills for 15 minutes, and then drains right away, it'll keep it from immediately opening the solenoid again.
    Ok, yes I wasn’t anticipating you would have that severe a leak or drain failure.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Ok, yes I wasn’t anticipating you would have that severe a leak or drain failure.
    Oh I know. I really doubt that could ever happen, but that's the only situation where it would be needed.

Regular Vistor
    Hey All, I just added a second optical sensor at the high point (below the mechanical float valve). I want the same programming but I want the high point sensor to turn the solenoid off. Any ideas on how to do it?

What I want:
    1. When low sensor is open, open the solenoid
    2. When the high sensor is closed, close the solenoid
    3. In case the high sensor fails, I want the solenoid to close after being open for 60 minutes
    4. It should never run more than once a day (it really takes about 4 - 5 days before it needs to refill)

I tried the code below. I timed it, and it takes my RO/DI to fill the reservoir in about 50 minutes or so. But the below code only opens the solenoid for a few seconds at most. Not sure what's going on.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATO_LO OPEN Then ON
    If ATO_HI CLOSED Then OFF
    When On > 060:00 Then OFF
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    Min Time 720:00 Then OFF

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Remove the Set Off command. Once the lo sensor is closed there is nothing to keep it open except the one line of code If ATO_LO Open the on. Your defer then off command is only 4 seconds. If the sensor is closed for 4 seconds or greater then anytime the LO sensor is closed it will shut off. If you remove the set off then the Hi condition or greater than 60 minutes of runtime or a fallback scenario would be the only things turning off the outlet. The min time then kicks in.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Remove the Set Off command. Once the lo sensor is closed there is nothing to keep it open except the one line of code If ATO_LO Open the on. Your defer then off command is only 4 seconds. If the sensor is closed for 4 seconds or greater then anytime the LO sensor is closed it will shut off. If you remove the set off then the Hi condition or greater than 60 minutes of runtime or a fallback scenario would be the only things turning off the outlet. The min time then kicks in.
    Ah yes, I see that now. Thank you! I've updated it to:

Fallback OFF
    If ATO_LO OPEN Then ON
    If ATO_HI CLOSED Then OFF
    When On > 060:00 Then OFF
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    Min Time 720:00 Then OFF

New User
    I am having trouble understanding what the purpose of the "Defer 000:04 Then OFF" is used for. If the solenoid is going to remain open until ATO_HI is closed or 60mins, whatever comes first. Where does the defer 4 secs come in?

Quote Originally Posted by toothdoc View Post
    I am having trouble understanding what the purpose of the "Defer 000:04 Then OFF" is used for. If the solenoid is going to remain open until ATO_HI is closed or 60mins, whatever comes first. Where does the defer 4 secs come in?
    This makes the ATO keep running until the low sensor detects water continuously for 4 seconds, so that a bit of ripple on the water surface doesn't cause the ATO to stop prematurely.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    But wouldn't we want that on the high sensor? Or is the height of water we want to add to the sump only the height of the sensor not the distance between the high and low sensors?

In my mind I'm thinking when low sensor is open (not covered) the atk turns on and then would stop when high sensor has is closed (covered) adding enough water to cover the distance between the high and low sensors?

If we defer the low sensor to only 4 seconds then it's only going to add enough water to cover the low sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by toothdoc View Post
    But wouldn't we want that on the high sensor? Or is the height of water we want to add to the sump only the height of the sensor not the distance between the high and low sensors?

In my mind I'm thinking when low sensor is open (not covered) the atk turns on and then would stop when high sensor has is closed (covered) adding enough water to cover the distance between the high and low sensors?

If we defer the low sensor to only 4 seconds then it's only going to add enough water to cover the low sensor?
    By default (and the best way IMO) is to have the water level target the lower sensor and the high is just a backup. Because of the way the optical sensor works, the water level will still vary a tad, but it will be like 1/16" to 1/8" rather than the distance between the two sensors.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Ok that makes sense. Sorry to hijack the thread here. I'll post my further questions about my scenario in a new thread.

Thank you for your help!