Thread: New to apex--wondering what heater you recommend for a 25 gallon?

New User

Question New to apex--wondering what heater you recommend for a 25 gallon?

Hi there!

I am totally new to the system and just setting up my new aquarium. Wondering what people recommend for heating? I have used a BRS heater in the past with an Inkbird controller--do I need a heater controller with the Apex (I have heard of people using the iknbird controller still with the apex and also the IM Helio system)? Or do I just get a heater (if so, what do you all recommend) and plug it right into the apex outlet?

Apologies if these are noobish questions!

Thank you!

NSI Member
    Since heaters are a vital part of the system you always want backup for your control. The Apex is fine doing the primary temp control. You would also want a controller on the heater itself. Either an inkbird or one built into the heater. You set that one just above the temp you keep the tank at. That way if there is any failure the heater would shut be shut off once the higher safety temp was hit.

I also like the idea of 2 smaller heaters instead of one larger one. That way each heater has less of an impact if it sticks on or off, and you have a backup inline. These things always seem to go wrong at night or when you are not home so having a backup is important.

Here's how I do it. https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...Heater-Program

New User
    Thank you so much for the reply. I will definitely check out your thread. I appreciate the advice!