Thread: Programming Change Help

Frequent Visitor

Programming Change Help

I have a couple questions regarding my programming. I'll be updating my Apex this evening and would like to incorporate some of the new programming changes I'm reading about. I've been having some issues with my programming and think they might help.

My biggest issue is my water change.

1. Right now, when the low level float switch in my mixing tank is Open, it turns on a virtual outlet. When that outlet is ON, it turns off my DOS pumps. The problem I'm having, is that as soon as I fill up the mixing barrel with RODI, the water change starts again. I need it to wait until I tell it to turn the DOS pumps back on manually, after the salt is completely mixed. I thought the vReset outlet would help, but it doesn't work correctly.

Here is what I have now:

[vNSWLo]
    If NSWLo OPEN Then ON
    If Output vReset = ON Then OFF

[vReset]
    Set OFF

[NSWDos]
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 20:00 to 21:30 Then WtrChange
    If Time 10:00 to 11:30 Then WtrChange
    If Output vNSWLo = ON Then OFF
    If Output vHi = ON Then OFF
    If Output vBsmtLeak = ON Then OFF
    If Output vTankLeak = ON Then OFF

[OSWDos]
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 20:00 to 21:30 Then WtrChange
    If Time 10:00 to 11:30 Then WtrChange
    If Output vNSWLo = ON Then OFF
    If Output vBsmtLeak = ON Then OFF

It looks like if I delete [vReset] and add change the [vNSWLo] to this, it should work:

[vNSWLo]
    Set OFF
    If NSWLo OPEN Then ON
    When ON > 000:05 Then ON

That will wait for the NSWLo float switch to be OPEN for 5 minutes and then switch the vNSWLo outlet from Auto to ON thereby suspending the water changes until I manually flip the vNSWLo outlet back to Auto. Am I understanding that correctly?

So if that works, how to I get the Apex to send me one notification that the mixing barrel needs filled? Right now it keeps sending them to me until I manually turn it off, which doesn't help me if something else goes wrong.

2. Is there a way to get a single notification if a float switch gets tripped? For example, I accidentally bumped the high level float switch in my sump when I was doing something. That switch is set to shut off my ATO and water change in case something happens. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it until a few days later when the alarm on the Apex went off because my temperature probe was now out of the water. Thank goodness that's the backup temperature probe, but either way, it almost screwed everything up.

3. I'm also hoping I can get some help with my ATO Code.

Here is the current code that uses a virtual outlet to handle the ATO pump if it goes crazy and stays on. From reading one of the stickies, it looks like I don't need the virtual outlet anymore?

Current Code:

[ATO]
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If SumMid CLOSED Then ON
    If Output vLo = ON Then OFF
    If Output vATOTime = ON Then OFF
    Defer 000:30 Then ON
    Min Time 015:00 Then OFF
    If Output NSWDos = ON Then OFF

[vATOTime]
    If Output ATO = ON Then ON
    Defer 001:00 Then ON
    If Output vReset = ON Then OFF

Can I delete vATOTime and change my ATO outlet to this:

[ATO]
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If SumMid CLOSED Then ON
    If Output vLo = ON Then OFF
    Defer 000:30 Then ON
    Min Time 015:00 Then OFF
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF
    If Output NSWDos = ON Then OFF

Then add this to my SndAlm code:
    Set OFF
    If TSump > 80.0 Then ON
    If TSump < 78.0 Then ON
    If TOflow > 83.0 Then ON
    If TOflow < 78.0 Then ON
    If pH > 8.57 Then ON
    If pH < 7.75 Then ON
    If Output vBsmtLeak = ON Then ON
    If Output vTankLeak = ON Then ON
    If Error ATO Then ON

4. This is probably a dumb question, but is there anything that "over rules" me accidentally leaving an outlet in the On position, when something else is able to turn it off. For example, let's say I accdentally turn ON the ATO outlet, thereby turning on the ATO pump and I forget to turn it off again. But, I have a HiSump switch that is supposed to turn the outlet OFF if it is tripped.

Which one wins? If it's the HiSump Switch, that's great, if its the ATO outlet, that sucks. If it is the ATO outlet, is there a way to tell the Apex that the HiSump switch is more important that the ON position of the outlet?

5. Does the Apex work with Alexa? I know that might be a dumb question, but I'll never hear my phone ding if something where to happen in the middle of the night. If it integrated with Alexa somehow, I could probably find a way for Alexa to set off an alarm or something. Even integration with IFTTT would work. I could have it tell my automation controller to turn on the light in the bedroom.

Thanks for the help!

Frequent Visitor
    Bump for a little help.

1. The way you proposed will work but it will be 5 seconds not 5 minutes before it locks to ON. I would suggest adding a 10 second or longer defer then ON line in it though so it doesn't shut things off if you bump it.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

2. The easiest way is to just add the switch status to your email alarm. There are ways to only send notifications out once or at a longer recurring interval but it gets a lot more complicated.

3. That is the correct way to do that now.

4. Manual always wins. If there is something that you manually turn on often that can have consequences use a VO to turn it on instead and place the VO above any "oh crap" statements so they can still override in case you forget. You could also add a timer to the VO as well.

5. Not very easily. There is no way to control the apex with Alexa at all. If you get real creative with an IFTTT app that parses your email for keywords from particular statements you can get something in your house to react though I don't know the exact details about how to make it function. I just know that someone did something along those lines in the past and was sucessful.