Thread: Apex Programming Capability

New User

Apex Programming Capability

Hey All, I Just ordered the Apex Classic yesterday but was wondering, Can the apex be programmed to use a single float switch as an input for two different circuits based on the input of a 3 way toggle switch. for instance, the float switch would primarily be used for Fresh water auto top off. if the toggle switch is in the up position, it controls the freshwater Top Off pump, but can i make that same switch tell the apex that if its in the down position, use that same float switch but control the Saltwater Top off pump. im looking to flip the switch in one position for freshwater top off to top off for evaporation, the flip it in the opposite position to control saltwater top off for when i remove water for water changes so it adds the exact same amount of water i took out and that way i wont have to deal with salinity fluctuations based on adding too much or too little saltwater, then flip the switch back to the freshwater position once the water change is done.

Yep. Just use these two lines in their respective codes. I assume up is closed, which is the safest orientation.

Freshwater
    (ATO code)
    If Switch OPEN Then OFF

Saltwater
    (Refill code)
    If Switch CLOSED Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    So then this code would be put into the code section on the Saltwater Pump I am controlling? And for the Freshwater ATO code is that for when the toggle switch is in the middle, where Up is On, Middle is Off/Auto, and down is On? Or is this for a two way switch where Up is On(Closed circuit) and down is Off (Open circuit) with no middle. Sorry I’m just having trouble trying to wrap my head around it. Also how is the float switch wired? In series with the toggle switch? Or wired separately so the toggle switch would be input one on the BoB and the float switch would be input two?

That is for a two way toggle wires into a switch inout. For a three way toggle you would use two seperate switch inputs and use CLOSED for both where the middle disables both, up enables fresh and down enables salt. Wiring a toggle switch in series with a float would not help you here.

New User
    So then how does the float switch get wired into this all (using the 3 way switch instead of the 2 way) to open up the Closed Circuits to tell the apex to turn either the freshwater or Saltwater Pump On? Also what would the code be for that as well. Sorry for all the questions

You would wire the float into a different input and use something like this as a starting point. I am calling the float ATOsw and HighSw (You should really have 2 for failsafe). I am calling the toggle ATOtog.

ATO
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATOsw CLOSED Then ON
    If HighSw OPEN Then OFF
    If ATOtog OPEN Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then OFF
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

Saltwater
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATOsw CLOSED Then ON
    If HighSw OPEN Then OFF
    If ATOtog CLOSED Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then OFF

New User
    Ok so then “Set Off” part of the code is what gets controlled via “ATOtog open” in the freshwater circuit correct? And if the apex loses power and can’t see anything then it tells the circuit to stay off via “Fallback Off”?

Nope. Below is with comments

ATO
    Fallback OFF//default to off if loses communications
    Set OFF//default OFF state
    If ATOsw CLOSED Then ON//turns pump on when normal level is reached
    If HighSw OPEN Then OFF//turns pump off if high switch is reached
    If ATOtog OPEN Then OFF//turns pump off if toggle in down position
    Defer 000:10 Then ON//debouncing
    Defer 000:10 Then OFF//debouncing
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF//sets pump to manual OFF if pump runs longer than 5 minutes
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF//must be OFF for 1 hour since last fill before allowing another fill

Saltwater
    Fallback OFF//default to off if loses communications
    Set OFF//default OFF state
    If ATOsw CLOSED Then ON//turns pump on when normal level is reached
    If HighSw OPEN Then OFF//turns pump off if high switch is reached
    If ATOtog CLOSED Then OFF//turns pump off if toggle in up position
    Defer 000:10 Then ON//debouncing
    Defer 000:10 Then OFF//debouncing

New User
    Ohh ok I understand now, so ATOtog in the Up position enables the Freshwater circuit and ATOtog in the Down position enables the Saltwater circuit? And this is a 2 way switch right? With On/Off, not a 3 way switch which has On/Off/On, just to be clear? I also want to say thank you so much for all your help for breaking it down for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedawg8898 View Post
    Ohh ok I understand now, so ATOtog in the Up position enables the Freshwater circuit and ATOtog in the Down position enables the Saltwater circuit? And this is a 2 way switch right? With On/Off, not a 3 way switch which has On/Off/On, just to be clear? I also want to say thank you so much for all your help for breaking it down for me
    Yep.

New User
    Thank you so much, I truly appreciate all your help