Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apex (2016) AOS Version 5.03_CA17

New User

Apex (2016) AOS Version 5.03_CA17

I have tried 4 times now to update to the new AOS. Twice from my phone app and twice from my PC. I do not get any errors but I still show I am running the older firmware and have the alert that there is new firmware.

Wired or wireless. I have had issues in the past with wireless and updating. Running it hardwired seems to always work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    Wireless

Apex (2016) AOS Version 5.03_CA17

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeforce72 View Post
    Wireless
    Hardwire it just for the update. Then go back to wireless after.

That generally dose the trick for me.

New User
    Not really an option. Router is no where near my apex.

Nor is mine, I have to run 100 foot cable when this happens.

The other option and the recommend option from Neptune systems is to the Ethernet over power adapters.

He has a 2016 apex there is no reason for him to hardwire for the update. Reboot your apex check to see if the version changed if not then do the update again after the reboot. Wait 5 minutes and check the version again. If it's still not updated then contact support.

Quote Originally Posted by inh View Post
    Nor is mine, I have to run 100 foot cable when this happens.
    I've also found that, while I run my Apex wirelessly, it's good to keep one of these on hand.

Couple of other things:

I only attempt an update on a weekday morning, when I'm well rested and can contact Neptune support if necessary.

I only attempt an update after I have again backed up everything, including the config file, config summary web page, and screenshots of all major fusion pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
    He has a 2016 apex there is no reason for him to hardwire for the update. Reboot your apex check to see if the version changed if not then do the update again after the reboot. Wait 5 minutes and check the version again. If it's still not updated then contact support.
    I have a 2016 model as well.

My experience has taught me this is just a necessary evil when running it wirelessly.

I have a 2016 model as well.

My experience has taught me this is just a necessary evil when running it wirelessly.

My experience has been different with my 2016 updating over wireless. I haven't had any problem during the update at all. I have had a few other issues but thankfully the update hasn't been one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
    My experience has been different with my 2016 updating over wireless. I haven't had any problem during the update at all. I have had a few other issues but thankfully the update hasn't been one of them.
    Got 99 problems but an update ain’t one?

There is no need to use a hardwired connection for Apex (2016) AOS updates. If the wireless signal strength and link quality are sufficient to maintain a connection to the APEX Fusion cloud, then an AOS update will work fine over Wi-Fi as well.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

I have tried 4 times now to update to the new AOS. Twice from my phone app and twice from my PC. I do not get any errors but I still show I am running the older firmware and have the alert that there is new firmware.
    It may take a few minutes after an update for the Apex to report the newly-updated version to Fusion. Does Fusion will show that your Apex is running a previous release? You can also check in APEX Local. If it still does not show the new AOS version, try it again, then watch the Apex status LED. Depending on your Internet connection speed, it may take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to download the AOS image; then Apex should then reboot, and the status LED should briefly turn a bluish-white, then proceed to boot up normally to orange. If you do not see the Apex reboot and that brief bluish-white color, contact tech support. The fact that you are using Wi-Fi is most likely NOT the issue.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    System seems to reboot. I don't see the blue/white color..it goes green-purple-orange. Current signal strength is 89%. Not sure what you mean by checking Apex Local. http://apex.local and 172.16.0.1 don't work. Fusion dashboard still shows current AOS as 5.03_AB17.

http://apex.local and 172.16.0.1 don't work. Fusion dashboard still shows current AOS as 5.03_AB17.
    http://apex.local will only work if your Apex's name has not been changed. If you changed it, you just use http://name-of-apex.local, for example, http://120Reef.local

172.16.0.1 is the IP address of the Apex while it is in Wi-Fi setup mode; this will not be the address when it is connected to your home network. You can see the Apex's hostname and current IP address in Fusion by going to the Network page.

New User
    Didn't change the name. Neither work to get into local.Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

New User
    Thanks for the help. I will contact tech support.

Download this utility, let it find your apex, and click on the link to connect in the browser; maybe you'll get lucky and connect.

www.neptunesystems.com/ApexBrowse_mac.zip

www.neptunesystems.com/ApexBrowse_pc.zip

New User
    Thanks. I finally got into apex.local
    Capture3.jpg
    Here is about an hour after in local
    Capture4.jpg
    And about an hour after in Fusion
    Capture5.JPG
    Whats a reasonable amount of time to expect that it shows the system updated?

I'd say that's long enough. Oh well, it was worth a shot. At least you can reach your controller again. If your controller isn't doing exactly as Russ describes, the problem may be harder to solve. Are you still getting the 'green-purple' lights during reboot after update?

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    There is no need to use a hardwired connection for Apex (2016) AOS updates.
    I wonder if everyone understands why this is truly the case, Russ.

For anyone who cares - The Apex downloads the entire update file to itself, and presumably checks the file's integrity with a checksum, before it even begins the update process. So it doesn't matter whether you're hardwired or on wi-fi; either way, the Apex won't start updating until it's safely got the whole thing.

Frequent Visitor
    Installed update via wireless. Seems to have worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    I wonder if everyone understands why this is truly the case, Russ.

For anyone who cares - The Apex downloads the entire update file to itself, and presumably checks the file's integrity with a checksum, before it even begins the update process. So it doesn't matter whether you're hardwired or on wi-fi; either way, the Apex won't start updating until it's safely got the whole thing.
    I have had the update fail multiple times updating wireless. Depending on the update it’s very hit more miss. For instance this latest updated worked with out issue. Other I have had to try multiple times then it will finely update. As for the wireless I have also had a few updates that knock the apex off wireless. The only way to connect it is to hardwire the apex and connect it to wireless again.

New User
    I am having the same problem. Tried 2 times yesterday over wireless, the router and Apex are about 5 ft from each other.
    Local UI shows the same info. Kind of afraid to reboot it in case it does not come back up.

I have also had a few updates that knock the apex off wireless. The only way to connect it is to hardwire the apex and connect it to wireless again.
    I had this happen once. I eventually fixed it by directly resetting the controller to wifi setup mode. I have yet to actually require the 50' ethernet cable I subsequently bought for an emergency backup connection method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast