Thread: Auto Feeder System (AFS)

New User

Auto Feeder System (AFS)

Hi everyone. Having a problem with the AFS and think it is a power issue.

I am in Japan. We use 100V 50Hz power. My external filter, skimmer, heater, DOS (external PS), FMM, etc., all work fine. The Apex works fine as well. But, my auto feeder (AFS) seems to sometimes have issues rotating. I have seen several times where it will fully extend outwards (or so it seems), but then does not rotate and only pulls itself back in and resets. I think it is a power issue as it is the only mechanical thing that is only powered by the aquabus (and also on a long cable that may lose amperage). My thought is that I can plug in a DC power supply (6V DC as indicated on the unit) to provide enough juice to power the AFS if the aquabus cannot supply enough aperage due to the 100V 50Hz power here.

Has anyone used an external power supply for the AFS, and can recommend a location to purchase same?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't tried that personally. Interesting thing - I just checked the AFS pdf manual and it says nothing at all about using that 6V power port. I'd try any 6V power supply with the proper size connector and a + center pin, and see what happens. If you were in the US, this one would probably work, and this one would almost certainly work.

I would open her up and inspect the gears for chipped teeth.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    rkpetersen, yeah, I checked the manual as well - not very much help. I just hope that the 6VDC power doesn't feed back into the aquabus and zap something.

zombie, if it was out of warranty, I definitely would. But, it does work sometimes, just not all the time.

If anyone else has an idea, I am open to it. I may just try to send it back for warranty.

You can inspect it without voiding warranty. Just don't force anything and you'll be fine.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.