Thread: Dosing with a tom pump

Frequent Visitor

Dosing with a tom pump

looking for suggestions on programming an aqua lifter/Tom pump (directly plugged into an outlet on an EB8) to dose into my tank. For example, I want to dose 10 ml of iron into my planted tank 10 times a day. The tom pump pumps at rate of 3 gallons per day which is about 190 ml per minute. running the tom pump for 3 seconds will give me about 10 ml. How can I turn the tom pump on for 3 seconds and then off? then repeat it for a total of ten times from 8 am to 8 pm? Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

dosing with a tom pump

looking for suggestions on programming an aqua lifter/Tom pump (directly plugged into an outlet on an EB8) to dose into my tank. For example, I want to dose 10 ml of iron into my planted tank 10 times a day. The tom pump pumps at rate of 3 gallons per day which is about 190 ml per minute. running the tom pump for 3 seconds will give me about 10 ml. How can I turn the tom pump on for 3 seconds and then off? then repeat it for a total of ten times from 8 am to 8 pm? Thanks.

There’s a online tool for this created by a longtime Apex user:

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

Be advised that an Aqualifter *must* be plugged into outlet 4 or 8 if using an EnergyBar 8. See this sticky:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...rs-and-outlets
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

An aqualifters makes a terrible dosing pump for that small of daily values and the actual flowrate of an aqualifter depends on head and is not 3 gallons per minute. Get yourself a BRS 1.1 ml/min pump if you want a cheap solution that will actually be remotely accurate.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

This is a double post. My response moved to the other one.

Russ please delete this one.

An aqualifter makes a terrible dosing pump for that small of daily values and the actual flowrate of an aqualifter depends on head and is not 3 gallons per minute. Get yourself a BRS 1.1 ml/min pump if you want a cheap solution that will actually be remotely accurate.

epsteino, please do not create multiple threads containing the same question or issue, or post the same thing in multiple existing threads; that is called cross-posting, and is generally frowned upon in forums. I have merged your two identical threads into this single thread.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Yes sir. I just didn't see the "dosing" section at first. I posted n a general advice section at first. My apologies. I'm more or less new to forums. I've posted in the past but responses were minimal. Thanks for the help though.

Frequent Visitor
    I said 3 gallons per day not second. And true more head slows it down which helps me with dosing 10 mL per dose. I will look into those pumps you suggested but I am going to give the aqua lifter chance. As long as they are consistent they will serve their purpose. Sorry for the double post.

Quote Originally Posted by epsteino View Post
    I said 3 gallons per day not second. And true more head slows it down which helps me with dosing 10 mL per dose. I will look into those pumps you suggested but I am going to give the aqua lifter chance. As long as they are consistent they will serve their purpose. Sorry for the double post.
    Aqualifters are 2 gallon per hour minus head loss not 3 gallons per day. My aqualifter at 24" head does 23 gallons per day and is not consistent because the priming time is not consistent, the bladders change over time, and is dependent on the condition of the tubing. A peristaltic dosing pump does not have any of those problems.

Aqualifters are rated at 3.5GPH, but the actual flow rate w/ minimal head in my experience is closer to what zombie stated. I also found them to be inconsistent, the orifice in the diaphragm was prone to clogging and deposit buildup, and they just didn't last. About 10 years ago, I went though 3 in about 6 months before I moved on to a peristaltic pump, and never looked back. If you do use the Aqualifter for volumetric dosing, don't go by the published rate. Instead, carefully measure the flow rate several times with it and the tubing in the position you intend to use it.

Frequent Visitor
    I misspoke. I did mean 3 GPH as my calculations of 2-3 ml per second come from. I do appreciate your input. I'm just trying to not spend soooo much money on 4 pumps. the DOS does look cool and an apex controlled doser would be nice but I just cannot justify it. Which doser do you use? I just want to dose iron and ferts in my planted tank during peak light times. It is not that intricate and does not have to be terribly accurate, although, I am quite anal about things and want to know close to exactly what I'm dosing.

Quote Originally Posted by epsteino View Post
    I misspoke. I did mean 3 GPH as my calculations of 2-3 ml per second come from. I do appreciate your input. I'm just trying to not spend soooo much money on 4 pumps. the DOS does look cool and an apex controlled doser would be nice but I just cannot justify it. Which doser do you use? I just want to dose iron and ferts in my planted tank during peak light times. It is not that intricate and does not have to be terribly accurate, although, I am quite anal about things and want to know close to exactly what I'm dosing.
    The BRS pumps are the best for a low price point when you don't want to pay the premium for the extra features of the DOS. They aren't as cheap as an aqulifter but they are much cheaper than a DOS.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    There’s a online tool for this created by a longtime Apex user:

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

Be advised that an Aqualifter *must* be plugged into outlet 4 or 8 if using an EnergyBar 8. See this sticky:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...rs-and-outlets
    Don’t mean to pirate a thread here but on the 832 this is a non issue right? I can plug anything I want into any outlet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Knight View Post
    Don’t mean to pirate a thread here but on the 832 this is a non issue right? I can plug anything I want into any outlet?

Yes. Outlets are all the same 7A on EB832

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Yes. Outlets are all the same 7A on EB832

Thanks zombie, appreciate it