Thread: Additional DC24 ports

Additional DC24 ports

Hi. I have an Apex 2016. Currently using one of the DC24 (2 pin) ports for a PMUP and still have 1 port free. I'm thinking about connecting individual Kamoer 24v dosing pumps to DC24 ports to control them via Apex.

These are the Kamoer pumps I'm referring to:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-Perista...IAAOSwB09YGYSZ

Seems like a simple and interesting project. These pumps can be obtained for $50 or less if you search for them.

Questions:
    1. What do you think of the project? Any negatives? I don't think that these pumps Amp draw will exceed the DC24 port specs.
    2. What is the best/cheapest way to get additional DC24 (2 pin) for my Apex 2016? I only have one free and would like to add at least 2 Kamoer pumps. Need at least an extra DC24 port.
    3. Can I use the 1Link (4 pin) ports in any way?

Thanks a lot!

You can only get extra 24V ports from an FMM (1 port), and EB832 (2 ports), or a 1link (2 ports). Considering the poor reliability of that style pump, I would seriously consider scrapping that idea and either get the BRS style that plugs into an AC outlet or spending a bit more and getting a DOS.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

So that pump is not very reliable? I thought that Kamoer made good pumps. I have seen Kamoer products for $399 (wifi, etc.) which seem to have the same kind of motor and roller mechanism.

I don't have any spare AC outlets. I think that getting another EB832 would be more expensive than buying a 1Link module.

DOS is totally out of my budget.

I don't know the reliability of that particular manufacturer, but that style of head for most manufacturers is not very good. The small size of tubing used wears out very quickly, loses calibration easily, slips easily, and loses prime easily. The worst offenders are the Chinese brands like jebao, marine color, etc. But I have seen similar problems voiced from pretty much everything except for German or american manufactured ones. The larger head styles like the DOS or BRS pumps seem to have much better reliability, but you might get lucky. I would start with just one as a test run and if it works great, then add 2 more and a 1link later. If not, might still be useful for magnesium and you could use BRS or a DOS for the main 2 part.

Thanks. Sounds like a plan. I will give it a try with one and see how it goes.

Is there a way to get around using a 1Link (4 pin) port or variable speed port to get this working?

The only way to avoid another port with a second one would be to set ones timing so it outputs what you want with the dial at say 50%, and then adjust that one and the other one up or down with the dial instead of code. Then you could power both at the same time with one outlet.

That’s a clever idea. Another option that came to mind is just using a stand alone timer for the second dosing pump.