Thread: To update firmware, or not update firmware, that is the question.

Regular Vistor

Question To update firmware, or not update firmware, that is the question.

Happy New Year's Eve to all!!
    Back in November _ December of 2015 I attempted many times to update firmware with absolutely no success, despite all of the help and advice from this Forum. I am still running the same firmware version 4.31L-3B14. My question is if there is any sense of going through that fiasco again. My family actually bought me a newer version that is still in the cardboard box Bulk reef Supply shipped it in (ship date Dec. 12 2015 label is still on the carton). Everything works fine as it is (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Fusion has installed most if not all of the things I could ask for. The task list, reminders, etc. Is there anything coming down the pike that would help a (returning to) freshwater aquarist. Any freshwater test kit upgrades I believe go through Fusion and the only grayed-out task that I might possible use might be a variable output. I already have a Current Orbit LED and Marineland LED that have their own controllers.
    I would love to hear your opinions!
    Thanks, Alan

Honestly, I would hold off until the next version comes out. There have been quite a few users with a random reset bug with the current version.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks, Zombie for the input. Guess I won't be doing an upgrade anytime soon. I'm actually wondering if there is a reason to EVER do an upgrade.
    I do have two Jebao wavemakers that are on the TBL function which is neat as all get-out, but can't think of any other hardware I would need on a 60 gallon freshwater tank that would facilitate needing other Task functions besides the ones that are present now in my Apex.
    Happy New Year!!
    Alan

The main reason to update is for new features or bug fixes. The new features of the newest firmware are really nice such as the ability to use percentages instead of profile names in code, but the bug that inadvertently got added for some users makes it a no-go for people hesitant to upgrade.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Hummm... More to think about. May just keep what I have unless Neptune decides that my version will no longer be supported.