Thread: Multi-tank setup?

Frequent Visitor

Multi-tank setup?

I'm curious if anybody is running a multi-tank setup with 1 APEX?

I have a 125g running with the new version of the APEX and a 29g biocube with the previous version of APEX.

I'm considering plumbing in a shared sump in the basement for both tanks, maybe even add a frag tank in the basement next to the shared sump.

I'm thinking maybe multiple EnergyBar 832s at the tank to control lighting?
    For the heater's... maintain the sump water temperature or put heaters in the individual tanks?

Do you use any kind of float switch at each tank to monitor level?

Please, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Shared sump would be helpful for the biocube since fitting probes and a skimmer is pretty much impossible.

Multiple energy bars is a good idea though you can get EB8s or EB4s to save money and use the EB832 you have or new EB832s only where you need 24V accessories or 1link connections.

I would put your main heating in the sump with small backup heaters in each tank.

Floats to check for overflow would be useful for alarm purposes and to stop the shared sump pump if they go off, but ATO and level control should happen in the shared sump.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    The apex doesn't care if you run one tank or 5. I personally have one apex brain running 5 separate systems plus a common ATO and water change system.

i have one EB8 and a PM2 at each tank with the brain being by the water change where I have 2 old DC8 from an old AC jr system.

Just understand and that naming everything is important. I have each set of modules named by a tank abrievation to keep everything straight.

Control Freak In Training
    Totally agree with the naming thing. I am running 4 (5 once my 90 is added) tanks on a common sump. As the list of inputs and outputs gets long the hardest part is determining which is which!

Frequent Visitor
    I run 3 tanks and a water changing station. The list of inputs and outputs has made my dashboard crazy long. I normally have a EB8 and PM1 per tank so I can control temp and monitor pH.

That being said I wish Neptune would go to a tab based system for Fusions interface instead of the 3 columns. I could have a tab for each tank instead of it all running together

Regular Vistor
    I currently run 4 tanks with one APEX including 3 ATOs, 10 LEDS, 3 auto feeders. I have been doing this with a classic for at least 5 years. I also have fairly lengthy cables since the tanks are on multiple floors. My greatest concern is the APEX failing and a process to easily replace it. Backing up the APEX is fine, but when you install a new one, different addresses may be designated for different components, and they you have a nightmare reprogramming them In my case, one pH port has failed on the APEX Classic.

Frequent Visitor
    Personally I would run a couple of Apex units if at all possible. You're making a single point of failure across multiple systems. You can add multiple Apex units to Fusion still, I believe?

You'd likely need expansion modules for temp, salinity, pH, ORP etc anyway, so there would be additional outlay. You'd want to monitor temp in each tank as a minimum, although the module wouldn't be much outlay

Quote Originally Posted by tastyfish View Post
    Personally I would run a couple of Apex units if at all possible. You're making a single point of failure across multiple systems. You can add multiple Apex units to Fusion still, I believe?

You'd likely need expansion modules for temp, salinity, pH, ORP etc anyway, so there would be additional outlay. You'd want to monitor temp in each tank as a minimum, although the module wouldn't be much outlay
    Single point of failure is not entirely true because we have fallback and those who pay close attention to failure modes can have almost a 100% functioning system if the head unit goes down. With that said, running two head units does have lots of advantages including being able to quickly move modules to the other head unit in the event of failure or a nasty bug.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Fallback doesn’t help with all apex functions though and having an Apex fail is far from a stress free issue.

It’s no slight to Apex, I would personally just rather have independent systems controlling different tanks, with centralised control as a design principal.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Bizness View Post
    I run 3 tanks and a water changing station. The list of inputs and outputs has made my dashboard crazy long. I normally have a EB8 and PM1 per tank so I can control temp and monitor pH.

That being said I wish Neptune would go to a tab based system for Fusions interface instead of the 3 columns. I could have a tab for each tank instead of it all running together
    Ditto.. exactly what I have... and wish the same thing..

Regular Vistor
    I use an Apex classic to run 2 tanks right now and am planning on adding a 3rd. I just wish I could log Alk, Calcium and other tests for each tank.