Thread: how to set up auto shut off on skimmer

New User

how to set up auto shut off on skimmer

I want to use a break out box with some sort of sensor so that if it starts overflowing it will auto shut off. what would be the code, and what is everyone using for sensors?

Most direct solution would be to use a float switch in the collection cup or overflow container. Wire the switch to a BoB. Then in the skimmer outlet add:

If Sw1 CLOSED Then OFF

If you have other code in the skimmer outlet that might interfere/conflict, you might need to use a virtual outlet to isolate the switch code.

The previous post is correct however it can lead to problems. As soon as the float is not longer all the way up, it will turn back on then overflow, turn the float back up, then repeat the cycle over and over. If the float is properly positioned then this isn't always a problem, but I prefer to do it this way to be safe.

Create a VO

Overflow (VO)
    Set OFF
    If Switchname CLOSED Then ON
    When On > 000:05 Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Min Time 000:10 Then ON

Equipment
    (Existing code)
    If Outlet Overflow = ON Then OFF

Email
    (Existing code)
    If Outlet Overflow = ON Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Zombie I'm trying to figure out what this VO code does. Can you provide line comments for the lines of code so I can see what each line does?

Thanks

What the VO does is when the overflow float closes for 10 seconds continuously it will turn the outlet ON and then the when statement changes the slider from AUTO to ON so that it latches. When that VO turns on it will email you and turn off whatever equipment you add that line too and keep it off until you fix the problem so the float is open again and then change the slider back to AUTO.

Nice code, zombie. My skimmer level sensor works fine with the simple code Todd described, but your VO is more versatile and dependable.

OP, for sensors, an alternate to a standard float switch and BoB would be an optical sensor plugged into an FMM. Useful if you happen to have a Neptune ATK with an unused sensor input, for example.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the code explanations. I'm on my way to trying VOs.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    ...an alternate to a standard float switch and BoB would be an optical sensor plugged into an FMM.
    I don't use optical sensors, but I'm curious how they would behave in skimmate. Wouldn't they build up a film and always indicate full?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I don't use optical sensors, but I'm curious how they would behave in skimmate. Wouldn't they build up a film and always indicate full?
    Mine hasn't done so so far, but I give it a wipe whenever I remove and clean out the cup, which is weekly. Also, I skim on the wet side, so it isn't thick sludge that the sensor is submerged in. If it were installed somewhere difficult to access, or maintained less often, it could be an issue, but the worst that would happen is that you'd be notified, find that the container isn't actually full, clean the sensor, and carry on. I thought about using a standard float switch, but they're bigger and bulkier (don't really fit with my skimmer cup and lid so well), and they can also develop deposits and get stuck if not maintained properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Probably. I wouldn't trust it. If I used opticals for skimmate it would be in an overflow bucket connected to the skimmer cup with a tube.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I wouldn't trust it.
    Yeah well, that's another issue. I don't trust these optical sensors at any time, as you know. Or maybe it's more like the old Cold War expression - Trust, but verify.

Frequent Visitor
    Hi Zombie,

Can you please breakdown what each of the following does?

Code:

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe09 View Post
    Hi Zombie,

Can you please breakdown what each of the following does?

Code:
    It waits 10 seconds to make sure the overflow is real and then the min time and when work in tandem to latch the state to manual ON.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It waits 10 seconds to make sure the overflow is real and then the min time and when work in tandem to latch the state to manual ON.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cool, thanks.

New User
    Why will this super simple code not up load without an error? I have a float switch in my skimmer lid connected to sw2. I have tried this
    Fallback off
    Set on
    If sw2 is closed then off
    If sw2 is open then on

This fails to upload, I take out line 4 and it fails. I’m stupid with this stuff and don’t know what is wrong?
    Thanks
    Jeff

Line 4 serves no purpose - do not use it. The Set On statement handles turning the outlet on whenever the switch input is not closed.

What is the exact error message shown when you try to update the programming?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjoos99 View Post
    Why will this super simple code not up load without an error? I have a float switch in my skimmer lid connected to sw2. I have tried this
    Fallback off
    Set on
    If sw2 is closed then off
    If sw2 is open then on

This fails to upload, I take out line 4 and it fails. I’m stupid with this stuff and don’t know what is wrong?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    The error is caused because you included the word "is" when it's not needed, and as Russ mentioned, line 4 is not needed.

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If sw2 CLOSED Then OFF

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    The error is caused because you included the word "is" when it's not needed, and as Russ mentioned, line 4 is not needed.

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If sw2 CLOSED Then OFF
    That did it. There sure is a learning curve to this. My Older brain just doesn’t grasp this that well
    Thanks
    Jeff

New User
    Thank you for this! I wanted to set something up so in case my skimmer overflowed it would shutoff. I used an optical sensor (because of space) & so far it’s working great! Learned a bit how to use virtual outlets & they come in pretty handy! 😊