Thread: 1 WAV stops the other 2 working

New User

1 WAV stops the other 2 working

As per the title, I have 3 WAV pumps - 2 work fine (most of the time) but when I plug the 3rd one it stops the other 2 working, they show as OK in the dashboard, but I have to restart the 1Link to get the pumps running again.

Any ideas?, all the pumps have been cleaned thoroughly

Contact tech support.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Done that, it appears to be faulty, but unfortunately as it's a s/h system there is no warranty - not overly impressed

What is an s/h system?

Even if it's out of warranty for whatever reason repair will likely be much cheaper than replacement and you might just need a new impeller. Have you tried switching the impeller from a working one to the one that doesn't work?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    secondhand, the impeller works fine in 1 of the other 2 pumps, so by a process of elimination I've narrowed in my own mind at least to a blown motor block, so at least I have a spare impeller, but at UK prices I will be replacing it with a Tunze

Have you tried switching the ports between the wav that causes the problem with one of the wavs that normally works fine? That should tell you if the problem is in the wav or the 1link.

Frequent Visitor
    Same thing chez moi. Both pumps stalled, led on the power brick is flickering. When I unplug pump #2 and power cycle the iLink, pump #1 works fine and the power brick led is green as it should be. As soon as I replug pump #2 (regardless of which socket) both pumps are stalled. Pump #2 shows the ! triangle on the module status sheet in the local dashboard, but see no more information.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Same thing chez moi. Both pumps stalled, led on the power brick is flickering. When I unplug pump #2 and power cycle the iLink, pump #1 works fine and the power brick led is green as it should be. As soon as I replug pump #2 (regardless of which socket) both pumps are stalled. Pump #2 shows the ! triangle on the module status sheet in the local dashboard, but see no more information.
    Most likely you have a shorted out pump motor. Try cleaning the offending pump to see if that clears the fault. If not and you're still under warranty open a ticket with support. If you're out of warranty then you're also out of luck...

Frequent Visitor
    Yes, that is my conclusion also. I'm second owner, so most likely out of warranty, but we shall see.

Frequent Visitor
    Even though my pumps was s/h, I gave Neptune support the serial number and they replaced the shorted pump under warranty. Kudos!

New User
    I have a similar issue with mine, i'm running two WAV powerheads.
    It only affects my left pump which was running fine yesterday, today it has started going on and off at irregular intervals.

I took the pump out of the tank, cleaned it completely so there's nothing in there (there wasn't but you'll never know). Switched ports on the 1Link, right pump works left still the same.

I've changed it from Maveriks to constant, still the same.
    Unplugged the 1Link and all pumps for 5mins, then plugged in again, still the same.
    Restarted the apex several times, nope.

What could be the issue here?

Quote Originally Posted by Exquitas View Post
    I have a similar issue with mine, i'm running two WAV powerheads.
    It only affects my left pump which was running fine yesterday, today it has started going on and off at irregular intervals.

I took the pump out of the tank, cleaned it completely so there's nothing in there (there wasn't but you'll never know). Switched ports on the 1Link, right pump works left still the same.

I've changed it from Maveriks to constant, still the same.
    Unplugged the 1Link and all pumps for 5mins, then plugged in again, still the same.
    Restarted the apex several times, nope.

What could be the issue here?
    Try moving it an inch further down. They sometimes can sense cavitation too close to the water surface and do the start stop thing.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Try moving it an inch further down. They sometimes can sense cavitation too close to the water surface and do the start stop thing.

Thank you for replying.
    So I've tested this and this wasn't the issue as it seems.... The powerhead works fine as long as i keep it in my hand and the holding magnet isn't attached to the glass.
    Right at the moment when I attach the magnet to hold the powerhead in place it stops/starts again.

I have absolutely no idea how the back magnet can be related to this but this seems to be it somehow.

Moved the pump now at least 20 times around with attaching/detaching the back magnet and now I've finally found a place where the powerhead seems to work.

Edit: Now it's doing the same thing again. Worked fine for about 30mins, now back to Start and Stop

Have you tried disabling the position alarm? What about the Set Home Position button? Just grasping at straws, but might be worth a try. In the classic dashboard, these are in the Configuration>Module Setup menu. Select the appropriate Wav Module in the Module Configure area.