Thread: COR-20 (Combine 2 pumps)

Frequent Visitor

COR-20 (Combine 2 pumps)

Can I combine 2 of the COR-20 into one return line? I don't think one COR-20 will be enough to meet my needs this way if Icombine 2, it will meet my needs and won't have to run either at 100%?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
    Can I combine 2 of the COR-20 into one return line? I don't think one COR-20 will be enough to meet my needs this way if Icombine 2, it will meet my needs and won't have to run either at 100%?

Thanks
    I don't think this a COR specific question.

Quote Originally Posted by fishstix View Post

Thanks
    Yes. Just be aware that if one fails for whatever reason it will backfeed through the failed pump and significantly reduce flow from the working one if you combine them into the same pipe. It's would be much better to run them in two seperate lines.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    I don't think this a COR specific question.
    It kinda is since I pre-ordered 3 of the COR-20

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Yes. Just be aware that if one fails for whatever reason it will backfeed through the failed pump and significantly reduce flow from the working one if you combine them into the same pipe. It's would be much better to run them in two seperate lines.

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind, when setting them up.

This is a question for zombie...

Will you really get the full volume of water if you plumb 2 pumps together or will there be a loss of flow caused by the effect of the 2 stream pushing against each other at the point of confluence?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    This is a question for zombie...

Will you really get the full volume of water if you plumb 2 pumps together or will there be a loss of flow caused by the effect of the 2 stream pushing against each other at the point of confluence?
    There will be a loss where they meet and the larger the difference between the two flowrates, the larger the circulating flow loss will be. This can be reduced by using Y fittings rather than T fittings, but will never go away completely. Better to just keep them seperate and avoid the issue altogether.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the reply. So I guess the question now is the way my sump been custom built I cannot change having 2 holes in it to run seperate.

Would one pump be enough? The tank 220, with 75 gallon sump, and the overflow rated at 2000 GPH. The plumping is 1.25 all the way into the tank.

Thanks

1 would be more than enough for that. General rule of thumb is anything more than 5x turnover after head losses is absolute overkill. As long as you aren't coming from a basement sump a long distance away, you will be between 1200 to 1600 gph which is well within the overkill zone. Even with a basement sump would still put you well above the acceptable turnover rate minimum of 3x at about 800gph. You will see some threads recommending 10x turnover but those are based on typical head loss from the mag series pumps that are typically 10-12ft max head and thus provide 50-60% flow on a typical 4ft rise with 1 inch PVC.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    1 would be more than enough for that. General rule of thumb is anything more than 5x turnover after head losses is absolute overkill. As long as you aren't coming from a basement sump a long distance away, you will be between 1200 to 1600 gph which is well within the overkill zone. Even with a basement sump would still put you well above the acceptable turnover rate minimum of 3x at about 800gph. You will see some threads recommending 10x turnover but those are based on typical head loss from the mag series pumps that are typically 10-12ft max head and thus provide 50-60% flow on a typical 4ft rise with 1 inch PVC.

That is great news, thank you so much for that info. That removes so many problems. Nope not from the basement only 6 feet at the most.

Thanks again for your help.

Frequent Visitor
    There was actually a thread over on Reef2reef recently discussing using 2 return pumps. Short answer: it can be done but with caveats and some drawbacks. you're better off having one, appropriately sized pump and well designed plumbing.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/se...uestion.347519

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydoc View Post
    There was actually a thread over on Reef2reef recently discussing using 2 return pumps. Short answer: it can be done but with caveats and some drawbacks. you're better off having one, appropriately sized pump and well designed plumbing.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/se...uestion.347519
    These are wise words for us all: "You're better off having one, appropriately sized pump and WELL DESIGNED PLUMBING".