Thread: Wake up this morning and no more APEX.

Frequent Visitor

Wake up this morning and no more APEX.

Wake up this morning and no more APEX.
    No ping -t, no local 192.168.0.137 browse, no apexfusion.com browse.

It is wirelessly connected to my router(s) and my other devices (phones, tablets) are fine.
    Did a reset (pin hole) and still not pingable.
    Pull the usb cable (from EB832) to do a power cycle. Still nothing.
    Run an ethernet cable. Still nothing.
    Checked to see if my phone sees its wifi. Nothing.
    Past experience told me to just leave it and it might come back.

Sigh. So much work to keep up a reef tank.

Frequent Visitor
    So, Wifi configuration somehow corrupted and I used an ethernet to connect and got it accessible, I switched to static IP (but same IP address) and immediately lost it again. I had to reboot it many times and quickly access it to switch back to DHCP to get a connection to enter the SSID and key. At that moment, it was still unpingable randomly until after 10 mins or so, it became stable, then, I removed the ethernet cable and it was still pingable (via wifi).

I don't trust the apex wifi anymore and it seems setting the address to static makes it more unstable..... or just my unit is defective and unreliable.
    Glad it is now working but God knows for how long.

In general static is more stable (especially with slow booting routers or ones older than 3 years) but every now and then a bug can pop up that affects static and not DHCP or vise-versa. Regardless of the stability though, I vastly prefer static for easy access to local dashboard on android devices that can't use hostname.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I would go for a static address and ethernet everytime with any such device. If I could manually set the port speed as well, I would. Seen too many critical systems flip-flop trying to negotiate communication speed before.

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekc View Post
    So, Wifi configuration somehow corrupted and I used an ethernet to connect and got it accessible, I switched to static IP (but same IP address) and immediately lost it again. I had to reboot it many times and quickly access it to switch back to DHCP to get a connection to enter the SSID and key. At that moment, it was still unpingable randomly until after 10 mins or so, it became stable, then, I removed the ethernet cable and it was still pingable (via wifi).

I don't trust the apex wifi anymore and it seems setting the address to static makes it more unstable..... or just my unit is defective and unreliable.
    Glad it is now working but God knows for how long.
    It really sounds like you have something else on your network using the same IP. When you set a static IP it should be outside your DHCP range. I actually prefer to leave the Apex (or any device) set to DHCP and then on the router set its MAC to have a reserved IP.

If you do set a static IP you should also set that IP as reserved in your router. That way it can't mistakenly assign it to something else.

One more thing, if you set up both wired and WiFi with static IPs, they must be different IPs.