Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MACNA '13 Announcemnets

Frequent Contributor

MACNA '13 Announcemnets

Everyone has been asking "What did you announce at MACNA?" Well, here is a page where we will reveal the announcements day by day.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/macna-...ents-round-up/

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Everyone has been asking "What did you announce at MACNA?" Well, here is a page where we will reveal the announcements day by day.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/macna-...ents-round-up/
    Are you moving away from having the internal webserver respond to queries and now having the Apex post to your servers? Will the data be in real time or rely on an update interval? Is this new method an optional feature with the new firmware or a requirement? Do apps and widgets supported?
    Matt

Frequent Contributor
    Internal Web Server will always be there. Obviously some of the new fancy stuff will only be available on Apex Fusion do to H/W constraints. Actions you take on the Apex Fusion interface will not see any appreciable delays. You will not be required to use Apex Fusion unless you want to take advantage of the new feature sets that will only be made available on that platform. We will not be leaving behind entirely our native mobile apps. That said, they will also not get all the fancy stuff that we will be doing on Apex Fusion since Apex Fusion is designed to be "mobile first" and as such is designed to work with mobile devices with no sacrifices.

Frequent Contributor jrlamountain's Avatar
    this is great will the new fusion be free to use, it would be great to stop paying for the ddyns

Terence,

So correct me if I'm wrong:

This Is going to be a completely optional upgrade, that has an app version for mobile devices, and another that works from an ip address such as is now on desktops?

And this new interface (and apps) are going to work on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, etc?

Man.. Lol, when are the tests beginning? And can we volunteer on here versus Facebook? Also maybe google + also a an alternative sign up page?

From Note 2 on Tap 4

Frequent Contributor
    At this point we have not decided on a pricing model for Apex Fusion. That said, the intent is to always offer some basic set of functionality with no additional fees.

Frequent Contributor
    Apex Fusion is a web app that is designed from the ground up to work responsively on any and all mobile devices, tablets, and computers. It will be entirely optional - in other words if you like working with the existing web interface, it is going no where.

We will announce a beta sign up on Facebook down the road so be sure to "like" us there.

Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    Terence,

So correct me if I'm wrong:

This Is going to be a completely optional upgrade, that has an app version for mobile devices, and another that works from an ip address such as is now on desktops?

And this new interface (and apps) are going to work on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, etc?

Man.. Lol, when are the tests beginning? And can we volunteer on here versus Facebook? Also maybe google + also a an alternative sign up page?

From Note 2 on Tap 4

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Internal Web Server will always be there. Obviously some of the new fancy stuff will only be available on Apex Fusion do to H/W constraints. Actions you take on the Apex Fusion interface will not see any appreciable delays. You will not be required to use Apex Fusion unless you want to take advantage of the new feature sets that will only be made available on that platform. We will not be leaving behind entirely our native mobile apps. That said, they will also not get all the fancy stuff that we will be doing on Apex Fusion since Apex Fusion is designed to be "mobile first" and as such is designed to work with mobile devices with no sacrifices.
    That's great that your not dumping abandoning the webserver. I just hope that the apps don't get left behind on future updates - specifically the android app and widget. You obviously put a lot of work into it and delivered a stellar app which was exactly what I wanted.

I'm all for cloud computing however it can be cumbersome when dealing with real time data. Inevitably there are always drawbacks such as the hardware posting to the server at very frequent intervals or the server polling the hardware with each web request. It would be a huge benefit for those that can't seam to figure out how to connect to the web. lol
    Matt

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jrlamountain View Post
    this is great will the new fusion be free to use, it would be great to stop paying for the ddyns
    Does your IP really change that much? I'd be surprised if my Comcast IP address changes more than once per year. Not worth paying for unless your IP consistently changes.
    Matt

Got you on the Web app.

Bummer on the Facebook thing. I already like you guys on there. Facebook is just something I desperately try to avoid. The ads, the ads, the ads. Sad thing is, it hasn't always been that way. If the was more as far as notifications and less ads I wouldn't mind. Lol, but it is what it is..

From Note 2 on Tap 4

Frequent Visitor
    Got you on the Web app.

Bummer on the Facebook thing. I already like you guys on there. Facebook is just something I desperately try to avoid. The ads, the ads, the ads. Sad thing is, it hasn't always been that way. If the was more as far as notifications and less ads I wouldn't mind. Lol, but it is what it is..

From Note 2 on Tap 4
    Facebook knew what they were doing. No ads until they got you hooked and you can't live without them... Then they go public and start pumping in the ads.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mstefa1 View Post
    Facebook knew what they were doing. No ads until they got you hooked and you can't live without them... Then they go public and start pumping in the ads.

Lol, I can for sure do without them. Honestly, I only have the account now because of Neptune. I don't go on it at all and everyone else I deal with (including my lfs) has a g+ page. I get notifications of something happening so I don't have to check on it. Facebook is "old and lame" for any realistic purpose for me..

That's why I was asking. Lol..

From Note 2 on Tap 4

Lol, add to that tbh that the Android application is terrible. I spend 90%of my online time in my phone, the other 10%on my Chromebook. Very, very rare that I Touch my laptop or desktop.

So on the two things I use, one of them, the application is horrific, and the other, your bombarded by ads 3/4 of the page you are trying to read. Concentration and enjoyment in that app is like trying to read a book while sitting in the middle of a traffic jam, with a jackhammer 5 feet away..

From Note 2 on Tap 4

it has changed like 4 times in the last few months its really annoying and i use comcast as well.

Frequent Visitor
    Lol, I can for sure do without them. Honestly, I only have the account now because of Neptune. I don't go on it at all and everyone else I deal with (including my lfs) has a g+ page. I get notifications of something happening so I don't have to check on it. Facebook is "old and lame" for any realistic purpose for me..

That's why I was asking. Lol..

From Note 2 on Tap 4
    I personally don't know anyone with a g+ account so I don't bother with it. Facebook is still relevant even with all the ads. I post a lot of family pics on there and have a small group of friends. Personally I think it's a joke when I see these people with 500+ friends because really I don't even know that many people let alone want to be their friend.

Lol, add to that tbh that the Android application is terrible. I spend 90%of my online time in my phone, the other 10%on my Chromebook. Very, very rare that I Touch my laptop or desktop.

So on the two things I use, one of them, the application is horrific, and the other, your bombarded by ads 3/4 of the page you are trying to read. Concentration and enjoyment in that app is like trying to read a book while sitting in the middle of a traffic jam, with a jackhammer 5 feet away..

From Note 2 on Tap 4
    That's interesting because I don't have any problems at all with the Android app on my GS2. The first release had issues and wouldn't work over cellular however ever since they fixed those problems it's been great.
    Matt

Frequent Visitor
    it has changed like 4 times in the last few months its really annoying and i use comcast as well.
    Something must be up in your area because normally it would only change with hardware changes... Or if you change your MAC address. Unless Comcast forces a release / renew your router / pc / etc attempts to get the same IP by design. I used to run public mail and webservers on a residential Comcast account for years and never had any issue.
    Matt

its annoying i have called them but they said it was just what happens, i was able to get a free dydns account before they stopped it but i have to log on to their site every month to keep it active.
    Something must be up in your area because normally it would only change with hardware changes... Or if you change your MAC address. Unless Comcast forces a release / renew your router / pc / etc attempts to get the same IP by design. I used to run public mail and webservers on a residential Comcast account for years and never had any issue.

Let's try to keep it on topic, guys...
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

I personally don't know anyone with a g+ account so I don't bother with it. Facebook is still relevant even with all the ads. I post a lot of family pics on there and have a small group of friends. Personally I think it's a joke when I see these people with 500+ friends because really I don't even know that many people let alone want to be their friend.

I'm one of those people. I used to travel flying rc helicopters and planes. I also worked with Adobe and Matrox for years. Lmao, add to that all of my friends from being a kid, high school and college that are scattered across the globe, it adds up quick I guess over time. But the people that I keep in contact with have my number and I share pictures(and video) with them, but not on Facebook. I'm not even going to go on my soapbox about "sharing information over the net" and especially Facebook. I did that in I think it was 2004 when I first got in Facebook before I knew better.

That's interesting because I don't have any problems at all with the Android app on my GS2. The first release had issues and wouldn't work over cellular however ever since they fixed those problems it's been great.

I have a Note 2 that is pretty decently tricked, so things fly by a bit faster that with a S2(I haven't run stock on this thing from a month after it was released) . My wife has a note 1 and the difference is tremendous even on that. That application is horrible :redraws, freezes, memory use, hanging on, etc.. On a lower ended phone, and depending on what you use and do, other apps don't move as fast anyhow, so it probably isn't as noticeable. Just being honest..

But anything that takes time to load, pulls memory, and just force closes on this phone continuously, something is up. Add to that, it's been that way for the longest. I have gone from Motorola, to HTC, to LG, and Now Samsung. All of them as devices got faster and I worked with others phones, Facebook has been a major issue over time. My personal phone, the only thing that has actually "stopped working" in the past 5 months has been Facebook. Take it off and all is well, let them push an update, it's good until the next time they update and break it again.

From Note 2 on Tap 4

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Let's try to keep it on topic, guys...
    Sorry about that... I thought this was an open discussion. I have nothing further to contribute then.

Matt

Apologies Russ..

Lol, soapbox got me.. I digress..

But is it not related in the sense that just like, for instance I have grown, and Neptune is growing with tech, shouldn't the methods of contact and communication follow? Wouldn't that spread more than having only one page? Most places have Facebook, Twitter and Google + now.

Example at hand for those like me that do not care for Facebook, but love the Apex and what it offers, is there nothing for us? G+ I dare say is a bit more "tech" oriented and progressive..

But eh, I digress..

From Note 2 on Tap 4

Frequent Visitor
    .. Is this new method an optional feature with the new firmware or a requirement?...?
    Sorry if this portion of Matt's question was answered, but I didn't see it. So... I understand Fusion will happen with a firmware update to take advantage of all the cool new cloudy FusionGoodness. But what if we don't want to be Fused? Is Fusion going to be tied to the firmware, or is it just something that can be turned on/off, allowing a person to remain current with the latest firmware?

You'll still have the firmware and do firmware updates. Fusion puts a new web app in the cloud, that's all. You can still run the current web app from your desktop or the mobile apps from your phone. The real advantage to Fusion is two fold - no more configuring for remote access since you just connect to the Neptune Fusion server with your own private account and two, the power available at that server for the control application is vastly superior to the program language and code space available on the controller.

So over time the apps will be very different between the controller and Fusion.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    You'll still have the firmware and do firmware updates. Fusion puts a new web app in the cloud, that's all. You can still run the current web app from your desktop or the mobile apps from your phone. The real advantage to Fusion is two fold - no more configuring for remote access since you just connect to the Neptune Fusion server with your own private account and two, the power available at that server for the control application is vastly superior to the program language and code space available on the controller.

So over time the apps will be very different between the controller and Fusion.
    Configuring remote access has always been very simple, even for complex networks so this would only be an advantage for people that really don't know what they are doing. Apps always run locally on the device only making calls to the controller so I can't imagine the power of the controller being the drawback here. I'm imaging seeing prettier tutorials and graphs for a subscription fee so I'm grateful your keeping existing functionality otherwise I'd be looking at other options. Unless your going to substantially lower the upfront hardware cost and offset it with a subscription model...

You would be very surprised (well you shouldn't be after all) the level of complexity I can run with an Arduino Mega and an Ethernet shield which has far less power then an Apex.
    Matt

Frequent Visitor
    Configuring remote access has always been very simple, even for complex networks ...
    Try spending a week being the sole person answering all of the help requests related to "I can't connect" and let is know how it works out. You may think remote access is easy but empirical data shows that a very high number of users make basic mistake such as using http://apex while they are trying to access their controllers from the internet.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast