Thread: Using Apex for Abyzz pump

New User

Using Apex for Abyzz pump

Recently bought a new set of Apex, and was hoping to see if the link up of the Apex with abyzz pump will be possible any time soon ?

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee21 View Post
    Recently bought a new set of Apex, and was hoping to see if the link up of the Apex with abyzz pump will be possible any time soon ?
    Abyzz has an interface that can be used with the Apex. It uses 0-10v control signals.

http://www.abyzz.de/en/assets/upload..._interface.pdf
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Abyzz has an interface that can be used with the Apex. It uses 0-10v control signals.

http://www.abyzz.de/en/assets/upload..._interface.pdf

That's great !

Regular Vistor
    Russ,

I have an Apex and recently purchased an Abyzz pump. Is the Abyzz interface similar to the Tunze stream cable?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/2-chan...eam-cable.html

I cannot tell from the spec sheet. I suspect it has bare wires though, not a DIN-5 plug like the Apex/Tunze cable.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    RuSs

i received feedback from some users who connected the pump to Apex via the interface and they have since disconnected it because they are unable to work on setting of the pump anything below 1 second.

the pump work on the same basis as the vortech pulsing mode where you set a min and max and the pulse frequency...usually for most aquarium it would be 0.2 seconds but I understand apex does not allow controlling anything below 1 second...can you confirm pls?

Using Pump profiles, the Divide by 10 option allows timing to 1/10 second granularity.

But I don't understand why anyone would attempt to do pulses anyway - the only pumps I see listed are pumps such as you'd use for a return pump or closed loop pump. I don't see any Abyzz models listed which are anything remotely like Vortechs or Tunze Streams.

Frequent Visitor
    OK to revive this thread a little....

I'm going to be in a similar position soon and would like to control 2 x Abyzz A200's via my Apex. The Abyzz interface goes from the pump controller via a serial connection but as yet Abyzz haven't confirmed what's on the end of the cable, what do i need them to supply so i can connect it to Apex ?

Can anyone confirm the pulsing issue described above ? I also cannot see why this is required as for me any way these will be run as return pumps so I will only use Apex to adjust flow during certain scenarios (power out, water change etc)

Abyzz are coming back to me next week on this but would like to close the loop (no pun intended...) from the Apex side as well.

Frequent Visitor
    OK so Abyzz this is possible but will need to prepare something although they didn't say what this is, I guess it's a similar cable that they offer that goes between their interface and the GHL (there I said a bad word...) so still not 100% clear but any input from this side would be good. Looks like there's not too many Apex people using Abyzz then ?

New User
    Hi

Just wondering if 2x 6095 tunze pumps are too much for 60 gal cube? I ordered them along with the control cable for Apex...now I'm doubting myself because another reefer told me it was overkill

Has anyone have these hooked up to apex fusion? If so was it hard to configure.

Oh I also have a sea swirl that my fish love it doesn't give a lot of flow but I think it's the current it makes that they love.

That will definately be overkill. I would go with the two 6055 for a 60 cube.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

New User
    Oh crap Well they we're delivered today

I guess i'll have to turn them down will that be ok?

New User
    What would be a low configuration for the? I don't want waves as I have a rimless tank, the place where I ordered them said they will be fine...I'm so confused

- - - Updated - - -

Should I put them on the back of tank or on the sides?

I would suggest something along the lines of this for those (at least to start). Of course since your pumps are overkill you will need to turn the intensity down. You can have one offset 3 hours from the other and create a fairly realistic tide simulation this way with lower flow at night.

Placement is tricky. I prefer them on the sides on my tank, but my tank is 6 ft long. If they are on the back, you will be able to hide them easier, but is you put them on the sides (one closer to back, one closer to the front opposite each other) you can create a circulating current that limits dead spots better. I say just play around with it and find a good balance between looks and utility.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated

Merjen, this really has nothing to do with the original topic for this thread, but FWIW, a couple of thoughts on your powerhead selection.... 6095s are rated up to 2510gph each. You can "turn them down" in two ways... Using the (4) voltage jumpers that come with the pump to reduce that, and then since you are going to attach them to your controller, you can have them off and then vary their speed between 30% to 100% of what that voltage jumper allows your pump to run at. (Tunze does not recommend you try to run them at 1-29% as they won't consistently spin and you'll wear them out faster.). In a 60 gal cube, you're going to need to think through how to try the speeds of those pumps so you don't blow everything to bits... Once you plug your pumps into power, if you don't have the cable connected to the apex, they are going to go at 100% of what they can do based on your jumper selection. My suggestion is, put the 12V jumper in, and start at 30% and work your way up to 100% using the apex! then try the next jumper doing the same thing until you find what works for your tank and it's inhabitants... The other variable you have is to use the narrow or wide flow diffuser on one or both of your Powerheads... The narrow will give you longer reach and is more powerful in a narrower channel, opposed to the wide flow that can't reach as far, but spreads much wider. You'll have to also play with those variables beyond what your Apex has anything to do with.

I say all that because I had a trio of 6105s (each rated at a max of 2500gph) in my 150 gallon tank... as I had multiple recommendations to needing close to that total amount of flow for the types of future corals I may want to have. Before I even started cycling the tank, I had lots of problems blowing sand all over the place, and had to not try to make waves that I wanted to because of how it wreaked havoc with my overflow, was just too loud, and such. ...but I worked that through after much trial and error. When I started adding fish to the tank, some however could never do with the highest flow that some corals may enjoy... My clowns for example could barely go anywhere when I first introduced them to the tank, so I had to dial everything back fairly substantially, and am working still on raising the levels again... I also believe your aquascape is going to dramatically influence what type of flow you need or don't for the same sort of inhabitants between different tanks. My point being... There are lots of levers you can pull when it comes to flow, and only part of it is what your Apex can manage. If your pumps are too big to begin with, you may never be able to dial them down enough to do what you want. Just give it a little thought before you put those pumps in water, while you could likely return them if you wanted for something a bit smaller, mind all it costs you is time and shipping costs...

I can't be more specific as to how your 6055s will work for you, but at least wanted to offer some practical things I went through with pumps probably a bit too large in my own situation. Good luck!
    Bert

New User
    Thanks Bert...the funny thing is I ordered 2x 6055 then I talked with some reefer and he said noooooo get the 6095's so I quickly phoned and changed my order. So I did and silly me, they came yesterday via UPS and I have not put them in yet. I am going to try them in a bucket so I can get them at a reasonable speed and figure out how to program my apex to them sure it's not difficult. So I will change the voltage to 12V like you suggested and start @ 30% and go from there. I will also shut my sea swirl off for now. Thank-you for taking the time on helping me I went to bed last night feeling discouraged because your right sending them back and paying shipping and restocking fee is heartbreaking So with your advise I'm going to make them work.

Meredith

Any updates on the Apex Abyzz cable?

Frequent Visitor
    I couldn't find a solution although I haven't looked at it for while, maybe someone has solved it now ?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Any updates on the Apex Abyzz cable?
    Abyzz America has them in stock... just received mine yesterday in the mail.

M

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeway View Post
    I couldn't find a solution although I haven't looked at it for while, maybe someone has solved it now ?
    I have started a new thread here:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...386#post112386

M