Thread: Amperage spike/dead EB4

Regular Vistor

Amperage spike/dead EB4

Not entirely sure if this is in the right forum but I experienced something a little unnerving last night. My EB4 recorded some amp spikes at 4am through about 430am. The spikes recorded as high as 90amps (momentary of course) before everything on the EB4 kicked off. The GFCI/AFCI plug must have tripped or completely failed as I’m unable to reset it. The only thing on the EB4 was the return pump (280watts) and an 800watt heater. It worked flawlessly for a few weeks and of course problems started when I began a 2 month trip and only my spouse to look after it. Any ideas or tips? Suggestions? Precautions? I’m not exactly sure of what to do here. The dedicated 20amp circuit also had a ground probe on it (not the EB4- the wall outlets). Could that have caused a problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Can you reset the GFCI with the eb4 unplugged from the wall?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Can you reset the GFCI with the eb4 unplugged from the wall?

You’re going to have to be patient with me as I’m 1000miles from home and dependent on my wife to trouble shoot.

I’m almost certain she tried resetting the GFCI without anything plugged into it. She said she wasn’t able to see a green light on the GFCI outlet but I’ll have her double check and maybe plug something into it.

Here is what I know. Around 0430, the heaters kicked on. 800 watt is plugged into the EB4 and the 500 watt is on the EB832. The EB4 shows a 70amp spike but the 15 amp breaker never popped. The return pump and heater stopped (both on the EB4) and the GFCI was tripped. 4am to 8am, the EB4 was registering occasional spikes up to 90amps without anything actually running on it. I had my wife move everything to EB832 (800w heater and return pump) and with all outlets commanded to off on the EB4 it still shows spikes in the 80amp range. IMG_5147.JPG
    IMG_5146.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have her try to reset the GFCI with nothing plugged into it. If there is no light on the GFCI that often means the circuit breaker for that branch tripped not the GFCI so have her take another look at the breaker panel and have her go through the breakers one at a time (or just the one circuit if you labeled it) and turn them off then back on. People unfamiliar with electrical often miss a tripped breaker because it often doesn't actually go to the off position but instead moves just a hair toward it.

Regular Vistor
    Have her try to reset the GFCI with nothing plugged into it. If there is no light on the GFCI that often means the circuit breaker for that branch tripped not the GFCI so have her take another look at the breaker panel and have her go through the breakers one at a time (or just the one circuit if you labeled it) and turn them off then back on. People unfamiliar with electrical often miss a tripped breaker because it often doesn't actually go to the off position but instead moves just a hair toward it.

Okay. I’ll have her try to reset the GFCI again. She checked the panel and both breakers were fine. I had her reset them both so it’s not the breaker at the panel but we shall try.

Is it normal for the EB4 to show amperage while nothing is plugged into it and the outlets are commanded off?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubs83 View Post
    Okay. I’ll have her try to reset the GFCI again. She checked the panel and both breakers were fine. I had her reset them both so it’s not the breaker at the panel but we shall try.

Is it normal for the EB4 to show amperage while nothing is plugged into it and the outlets are commanded off?

No that is not normal and is most likely indicative of some kind of hardware failure in the current transducer or associated circuitry. Only a physical diagnostic at Neptune could tell you for certain though.

... is most likely indicative of some kind of hardware failure in the current transducer or associated circuitry. Only a physical diagnostic at Neptune could tell you for certain though.
    This is incorrect; impossibly high amps readings on a EB4/EB8 are a sure indication that the EB has no AC input power. The reading will also rapidly fluctuate to an extreme degree

I just made it happen on one of my systems simply by unplugging the EB4:

Capture.PNG
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    This is incorrect; impossibly high amps readings on a EB4/EB8 are a sure indication that the EB has no AC input power. The reading will also rapidly fluctuate to an extreme degree

Capture.PNG
    Okay, so that explains the high fluctuation in amperage. It’s starting to sound like the GFCI is shot.

Can a ground probe trip GFCI?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubs83 View Post
    Okay, so that explains the high fluctuation in amperage. It’s starting to sound like the GFCI is shot.

Can a ground probe trip GFCI?

Ground probes themselves can't trip a GFCI, but a ground probe in a tank with just a teeny tiny bit of stray voltage sure can. I won't even but ground probes in my tank without modification because of that. I add a large wattage inline resistor so GFCI only pops on actual faults or human shock.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post

Capture.PNG
    That is good to know. I have had EB8s trip out on me many times and never saw that.