Thread: Flow sensor calibration?

Regular Vistor

Question Flow sensor calibration? 9772 GPH?

Is there a way to calabrate the flow sensors?

I have two in place on the return pump, and the overflow. The overflow is showing 10 gallons more than the return pump is showing.

Maybe its just the fish peing in the water, but thats a lot of pee.

Ihave looked around fusion, but cant fund anyplace to set an adjustment.

does anyone know if its possible to put in a compensation / scaling factor?
    Last edited by Scriptkitty; 01-14-2018 at 23:12. Reason: Updated title

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    The overflow likely is reading more because there is some air passing through the sensor as well as water.
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Regular Vistor
    I am starting to think i might have a bad flow sensor.

Its been running for 24 hours, and was only off by 10 gallons which as LobsterOfJustice (great name) suggestes, might be because of air. But I just hecked it before goong to bed and found this:

ADEEDB9D-467A-4DF5-8078-AE739C11180F.jpg

Seeing how this is attached to a 32 gallon biocube, i am thinking one of three things are happening:

First, i am actually having 9772 gallons of water go through the sensor, in which case I jist beat “that guy” and took the apex flow table to 11.

Second, i have a defective flow metet.

Third, the cable for the flow meter is picking up interfearence from the cable for the cor pump. I cleaned up the cables today and its the only thing i can think of that moght be affecting this.

Some other details:
    Unblugging and reconnecting the flow sensor dosnt fix the problem.
    its on the latest software.
    setting the return pump to zero and letting the overflow stop gets the overflow flow sensor to report zero.
    its a one ince flow sensor.
    the other 4 flow sensors seem to be working fine.
    the fmm is configured to the correct type (i dont use auto sense).

I am going to try re-routing the cables and see if it makes a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    Last edited by Scriptkitty; 01-14-2018 at 23:15. Reason: Removed duplicat pictures

Regular Vistor
    After some testing. It looks like the cables where in fact picking up cross talk from the cor 15 cable.
    Not sure if its from the 24v power or from the driver to the cor15. My guess is from the driver to the core 15. I had the cables all squished into a small space, and they where running paralel in places. I moved the drive to outside the cabnet and routed the cable to the pump to be diagnal to the FMM cables, and i look to be back to a 10 GPH difference between return and overflow.

Regular Vistor
    Just to put this to bed.

I figured out the problem. User error.

there was some cross talk from the initial cor woring, but the main problem was that i had submerged the flow sensor underwater. (I had gotten away with it on the smaller ones, but they are water resistant. Not water proof. So it had flooded and was seending weird data upstream to the fmm.

There is a great stick at the top of these forms that talk about this and some other great advice. On one side i wish i had read it before plumbing the sump, but to be honest, the picture of 9772 GPH flow from a 32 gallon tank was worth the hassle of replumbing.

Frequent Visitor
    The other thing to consider is that there is inherent error to these sensors. Not sure what the tolerance is, but I'd not be surprised if they are accurate eonly to +-10%.