Thread: Plumbing confusion

Regular Vistor

Plumbing confusion

I finally got my COR-15 and I'm planning to re-plumb my return along with the FMK I've had waiting for a few months now. The COR-15 says for best flow to use 1 1/4" but the FMK is 1". Guess I'll just go from the COR-15 to 1" and run 1" all the way. Seems odd that these two companion products are at odds with each other. Or should I do something different? Thanks!

-Mike

I would just run 1" the whole way unless it's coming from the basement. The added friction loss using 1" pipe will be similar or possibly even less than the minor loss added from using two reducers for the flow sensor.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Probably unrealistic to expect a 1 1/4" flow sensor, but I would have liked to have seen one for 1 1/2". Where I run piping above 1". I have ended up using the 2" flow sensor (though it is very large LOL).

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll run 1" all the way after the union on the COR-15. Zombie, I may also redo my overflow plumbing as I'm just using the poly that came with the Lifereef overflow I switch out to last year. Love the Lifereef, not a fan of the poly as I'd prefer something more riged but I've always stayed away from PC due to noise. Use to run spa tubing. Any suggestions? Maybe PVC would be ok if I oversize and use 45s?

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by msbreton View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll run 1" all the way after the union on the COR-15. Zombie, I may also redo my overflow plumbing as I'm just using the poly that came with the Lifereef overflow I switch out to last year. Love the Lifereef, not a fan of the poly as I'd prefer something more riged but I've always stayed away from PC due to noise. Use to run spa tubing. Any suggestions? Maybe PVC would be ok if I oversize and use 45s?

-Mike
    I haven't done much in the way of overflow plumbing, so I'm not of much help there. All I have heard is that herbie bean style is supposedly the quietest and I do know that oversized plumbing will still be heard but will get rid of the sucking sound.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks. I'm good in the overflow, with silencers. I just don't like the vinyl tubing that came with the new overflow I put in last year and I'm either going to go back to spaflex tubing, which is a little bit of a pain to deal with, or PVC. Just want to make sure it's as quiet as I can make it. Should ok either way as long as I don't use 90s.

-Mike