Thread: can a 1 inch flow meter be fully submerged?

Regular Vistor

Question can a 1 inch flow meter be fully submerged?

I think i figured out my problem why my 1 inch flow sensor is showing 9168 GPH for my 32 gallon biocube.

i dont think your suppose to fully submerge them.

i use to run a half inch submerged inside the back compartment, but when i recently added a sub, i put the one inch on the return line but under water. Thing went well for 24 hours, but then i started getting crazy numbers. Thought it could be cross talk from the cor 15, but i couldnt get it to stable.

so tonight i pulled it and examined it, and discovered water in the curcuit compartment. I was supprised that there wasnt an oring on that side of the enclosure. Looks like water was shorting out the connectors and sending funkey data upstream. The board looks like its covered in some protection, but it looks like the leads connected to the board are exposed.

So my question is. Are you not suppose to submerge the flow sensors?

Are there some sensors that are ok to submerge (i have a 1/4 submerged in the ato still and it seems fine).

I’ve read somewhere that you’re not supposed to submerge them.

Regular Vistor
    Found the answer in the stickey:

Flow sensors are water-resistant, and will withstand the occasional splash or drip. But they are not waterproof. For the best resistance to such splashes and drips, when installing, orient them so that the point where the cable enters the body of the flow sensor is pointing down if possible.

Time to redue the plumbing.
    i so need to get a bigger tank so i can get more space under it.