Thread: I need help with Salinity Probe.

I need help with Salinity Probe.

Forgive me if this has been covered many times, sometimes its hard to find answers with so many posts. Plus sometimes when you don’t know what you are looking for its hard to find answers.

So I just set up my 265G and I am cycling. A few days ago I set up my electronics so I did my calibration a few days ago. Yesterday I added water and my salinity probe reads very low but slowly rising. Is this normal? Shouldn’t it read the correct salinity from the start? Could it have something to do with doing the calibration a few days ago and then letting the probes just sit?

also I know my salinaty is at 35 as I have tested it several time using refractometer.
    F0604E23-2B02-4C9E-9F36-E91E78E28131.jpg
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

It took my probe 4 days to "settle in" before the readings got more consistent. Chances are you will need to recalibrate. When you do make certain that the solution matches tank temp exactly or your readings will be significantly skewed.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    I had the same issue with my new 2016 apex and probe. After letting the probe settle for a week or so, I did the following:

1) Remove the probe and run a manual calibration ( copying are suggestion from Neptune support on some out of whack pH probes).
    2 ) Reconnect the saline probe
    3) Take a pouch of the calibration fluid, open and partially immerse in the tank ( clipped to the side for stability) to settle at tank temperature
    4) Re-run a manual calibration.

The probe has been much more stable since and closely matches the readings I get from my independent PinPoint salinity meter.

Frequent Visitor
    If you trust and calibrated your refractometer and your water is at 35ppt, just calibrate the probe to your tank water rather than other fluid. After I did this several days after initial installation of the probe, my probe and refractometer have tracked together for months and the reading does not drift.