Thread: 1” Flow Module

Regular Vistor

1” Flow Module

I’m running the EcoTech M1 and have just installed the FMM and 1” flow module. The flow module read 850 litre per hour (UK), and I want 3000 lph, so I calibrated the M1 and whilst running at 109% being 7500 lph!!! The 1” flow monitor Read 1200 lph. I think I will pick up another 1” to be sure it’s okay but I wonder if this is a common problem folk have had? My aquarium is a small 365 litre (approx 90 USG) set up with 20mm return flow pipe. I have the flow monitor installed vertically. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frequent Visitor
    From the looks of it, seems you are using a barb fitting on the union. Those are extremely known to restrict flow. Even though your tubing is say, 20mm ID, the ID of the barb is even smaller.
    The flow rating on the M1 is based on 0' head height, and without any plumbing. With the M1 set at it's max, after the barb fitting and union, it might be reduced by 50%. And that's just a guess.
    To get the most from your pump, keep the return lines as big as possible for as long as possible.

Did you make sure to configure it for LPH? 1200 gph would be reasonable for a 4-6 ft height and the type of plumbing used.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks M1. Yes the barb ID is small but it takes the 20mm return pipe without resticting down and I couldn’t think of another fitting to connect the sensor. I was thinking of either running the L1 or waiting for the COR 20, and upgrade the pump but am not sure the cost will produce significant flow increase? Regards.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Zombie. Yes I did configure the FMM to litres per hour and also gallons per hour and back again just to be sure. I also used a spare 1” module and got the same results. I am running the M1 at full power and reaching 1300 lph. I cannot see a way to increase flow and can only connect the module to the 20mm system installed piping ��
    Regards

Frequent Visitor
    Not sure if switching to a L1 or COR 20 will help much. Your biggest issue is the flow restriction you have with the small piping.
    Before you invest a lot of money into a new pump, I would try to get your return as big as possible, (within reason) for as long as you can.
    Can you post a picture of the pump to? Also some of the plumbing after to flow meter. Would like to see more, so we could make recomendations.

Since the M1 has a ¾" (19mm) output, and the flow meter is 1" (25.4mm) what you could try if there is room is:
    Pump output - short ¾" (19mm) pipe ---> ¾-1" (19-24mm) reducer ---> 1" Flow Meter ---- then to the rest of your return.
    Stay away from any barb fitting.

Remember, the system is only as good as it weakest (in this case smallest) link.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Member No 1.
    I am running 19/27 Eheim tubing from pump to 20mm return rigid tube. The 20mm tubing fits into the 20mm connectors and up to the tank. Can I ask, is the barb the piece I glued inside the connectors, if so they are 20mm ID too. The rigid pipe goes up to the return nozzle.
    Many thanks for your help and advice.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the pictures, they do help.
    From looking at them, it seems that your bottle neck is the barbs fitting as it goes into the flow meter. It's hard to tell, but it appears that you only have the tubing slipped over the output on the pump. No barb fitting there correct?
    If so, can you duplicate that going into the Flow meter?
    Also not that it would made a difference, but it could be worth a shot, try running it without the strainer on the pumps intake. Again, not that it might mater, but it could be reducing flow to the pump.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Member No 1
    I have a spare return pipe in the shed and will pop a photo of it tomorrow. That should clarify the restriction [I hope].
    Night

Regular Vistor
    Hi. Unfortunately the 19/27 is fitted to a barn bought with the Ecotech Vectra M1 Barb & Screen kit! I’ll need to take the pump out to see the barb size though at a guess it’s likely around the size of the one before the FS-100 but I’ll confirm sizes. I have measured the barb before the flow meter and as you say, it is reduced in size. The return pipe is 20mm with internal diameter at 17mm. The barb takes the internal diameter to 14mm. I’m not sure how to get around that but I’ll look on some UK aquarium plumbing sites.
    Again. I’ll grateful for your help.

Regular Vistor
    Interesting. Have just had a chat with a very helpful LFS who advised I remove the return spray bar (duck bill), which I did. Instant flow increase from 1352 to 1536 lph. Astonishing eh

Frequent Visitor
    Good news!
    It's amazing what little changes can do.

Regular Vistor
    In fact, not liking the look of the return, I widened the duck bill and put it back and now am running at 1558!