Thread: External Power Supply for Apex Classic questions

Regular Vistor

External Power Supply for Apex Classic questions

Concerning the use of an external power supply for the Apex classic:

1) They specify that the voltage should be 12 volts, but do not specify the amps. I have a new 12 volt power supply with the right pin connector. Its 2.67 amps. Safe to try?

2) I want to do this so I can plug this power supply into a battery back up in order to keep the base unit powered during short power outages (I know the EB8 will still lose power). I just want to try to keep the base unit up and running as much as possible because it acts so finicky when it reboots due to power loss). Thoughts?

That one is fine. Anything above 500mA will work.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Ok, It did what I wanted. Great! It kept the main unit powered and kept a link to the EB8 (all the outlets were not powered of course), and the main unit did not need to reboot when commercial power was restored.

BUT.........unintended consequence.......since the main unit never lost power, i did not receive any alert that commercial power had been off.

Is there a way to configure an alert or text message to notify me that the EB8 has lost power from the aquabus cable?

Frequent Visitor
    Add this to your email alarm outlet.
    If Power EB8 Off 001 Then ON

This will send an alarm after the power is off to the EB8 for longer than a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Member No 1 View Post
    Add this to your email alarm outlet.
    If Power EB8 Off 001 Then ON

This will send an alarm after the power is off to the EB8 for longer than a minute.
    That line doesn't mean that. It means alert when power is lost to the EB8 (the name will also have an aquabus address by default) and remain in alert state for 1 minute after power is restored. For an alert 1 minute after power is lost would use 000 and a 1 minute defer.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the correction.

Regular Vistor
    So here is what I added:
    If Power EB8_3 OFF 001 Then On

I never got an alert. Gave it about 15 minutes but never got an alert or text. I verified that my EB8 is named EB8_3.

Frequent Visitor
    Is your outlet set to AUTO?
    You unplugged the EB8 or the adapter.

Regular Vistor
    I unplugged just the EB8, maintained power to the main unit via the external power supply. But I do not get notified. (But if i lose power to EVERYTHING, I do get a notified that the EB8 suffered a power loss once the power is restored). So I am getting notified if everything goes off, but no notification if JUST the EB8 goes off. Here is what my e-mail notification currently has:

Set OFF
    If Tmp > 81.0 Then ON
    If Tmp < 77.5 Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON
    If Power EB8_3 Off 001 Then ON

Quote Originally Posted by jeff67 View Post
    I unplugged just the EB8, maintained power to the main unit via the external power supply. But I do not get notified. (But if i lose power to EVERYTHING, I do get a notified that the EB8 suffered a power loss once the power is restored). So I am getting notified if everything goes off, but no notification if JUST the EB8 goes off. Here is what my e-mail notification currently has:

Set OFF
    If Tmp > 81.0 Then ON
    If Tmp < 77.5 Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON
    If Power EB8_3 Off 001 Then ON
    You could try updating the firmware and see if that fixes it (try module first and if that doesnt help do system and module) I have experienced that problem on a couple firmware versions in the past.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the suggestion, there was an update available for the EB8 so I did it, but it did not seem to change anything. (I rebooted everything after the update just to be safe).

Regular Vistor
    SOLVED: Page 119 of the comprehensive manual has the details.

I had to go into the classic dashboard and into MISC SETUP. Had to enable "power monitoring". Works now! Now I just need to fix my bigger problem of not reconnecting to the network after extended power outage (I started a separate thread for that. This whole thread was kind of a work-around until I figure that problem out!)