Thread: Using DOS as a manual ATO

Versaquatics

Using DOS as a manual ATO

I've hooked up a second DOS to do small daily water changes on one of my tanks. No sump, changing directly from the aquarium.... been working nicely. Was wondering how to configure the DOS so that when I manually activate the "fill" pump on the DOS, it will add water at the rate it adds during the water change? Not using float swithes, but just want to do it myself when water level drops from evaporation. Is there programming that will allow me to do this?

The prime button is not user configurable. It is static (at 40ml/min I think).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by versaquatics View Post
    I've hooked up a second DOS to do small daily water changes on one of my tanks. No sump, changing directly from the aquarium.... been working nicely. Was wondering how to configure the DOS so that when I manually activate the "fill" pump on the DOS, it will add water at the rate it adds during the water change? Not using float swithes, but just want to do it myself when water level drops from evaporation. Is there programming that will allow me to do this?
    It your using the DOS to do daily water changes (remove "X" OSW, add "X" NSW), this is adding salt water. You DO NOT want to use it on manual mode to fill if the water level drops from evaporation. That should only be fresh water (RO/DI preferred) as the salt does not evaporate.
    You can use a DOS as an ATO. I have 2 running on my tank. One for AWC (4 gallons/day) the other one using only one head to account for daily evaporation of about 1-1.5 gallons a day depending on time of year.

Versaquatics
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The prime button is not user configurable. It is static (at 40ml/min I think).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    I thought it might be. Will just have to compensate by adding slightly more during the AWC. Thanks.

Versaquatics
    It's a freshwater aquarium. Will account for this by adding approx a gallon more per day during the water change process and do the rest manually. The DOS takes too long for this feature anyhow. May have to rig up another alternative down the road. Thanks for the reply.

Frequent Visitor
    Freshwater... Do figure! Most everyone here are saltwater.

But you can still use the DOS to do what you want. Just increase the amount added by your daily evaporation amount.
    Say you want to change 1 gallon per day and your evaporation is .25 gallon.
    Program DOS to remove 1 gallon but add 1.25 gallons.
    If it seems not enough or to much, just adjust the program accordingly.
    You could also add a float to detect a high level to turn the DOS off as a safety measure so the tank doesn't overflow.

Versaquatics
    Quote Originally Posted by Member No 1 View Post
    Freshwater... Do figure! Most everyone here are saltwater.

But you can still use the DOS to do what you want. Just increase the amount added by your daily evaporation amount.
    Say you want to change 1 gallon per day and your evaporation is .25 gallon.
    Program DOS to remove 1 gallon but add 1.25 gallons.
    If it seems not enough or to much, just adjust the program accordingly.
    You could also add a float to detect a high level to turn the DOS off as a safety measure so the tank doesn't overflow.
    Yes, this is exactly what I've done. Thanks again!