Thread: Module getting new address

Regular Vistor

Module getting new address

My EB832 keeps getting a new address and gets registered as a new module. Of all settings are lost as they are associated with a now "missing" old EB832. This is maddening. Any advice?

Try updating the eb8s module firmware and delete the ghost module after copying names and code over. Could be a bug caused by a firmware conflict.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    I just realized that all my modules changed their aquabus addresses. It's a mess.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by alemone View Post
    I just realized that all my modules changed their aquabus addresses. It's a mess.
    I have had this happen to me as well. All you can do is setup the programming again from the old address.

Regular Vistor
    Neptune were able to restore the old addresses manually. Unfortunately, it happened again several weeks later.

Frequent Visitor
    I have had this happen after communication interruptions/power loss. Rather worrisome actually, as when energy bars get randomly reassigned the outlets all seem to be defaulted to ON.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    I have had this happen after communication interruptions/power loss. Rather worrisome actually, as when energy bars get randomly reassigned the outlets all seem to be defaulted to ON.
    This is definitely rather worrisome to say the least. It is something that has me wondering if the Apex is really reliable enough to continue to invest in the platform. I have started actually buying stuff that doesn't need to be controlled by the Apex because of this particular issue as well as the one when a module can go bad and completely hose your entire Apex system. You would think that from the bad module perspective there would be some type of signal acknowledgment or something to isolate that bad module and send you an alert to check it out. Something like a car. When you need to check your engine the car doesn't just STOP working on you it gives you a notification so you can get it checked out. Could you imagine that everytime you need to change your oil that you car just stopped working on you. Wouldn't that be fantastic.

Zombie (or anyone), will restoring from a backup fix this issue? (Just considering various scenarios.)

Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Zombie (or anyone), will restoring from a backup fix this issue? (Just considering various scenarios.)

Thanks.
    That actually made the problem worse when I had this issue. I just started over again once that didn't work. Could have been user error, but how difficult is it to backup then restore really.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post

Thanks.
    Possibly, but no in most cases. A module randomly changing addresses would most likely be a hardware failure, major corruption in the configuration, or a really nasty bug (much less likely than the other two). If a corrupt config is the problem, a reset to factory could help potentially. If it doesn't, than it is likely a hardware problem in the head unit or module that's changing and only support could diagnose and fix that.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Restoring from backup will not restore the old aquabus address.

That's what I suspected. So this is basically a worst case scenario kind of disaster, for which there is no credible way to prepare. You have to start over from scratch while relying on ancient technologies and long-forgotten lore to keep your precious charges alive until the code is restored. Do I have that right?

Quote Originally Posted by mitch91175 View Post
    Could have been user error, but how difficult is it to backup then restore really.
    When used properly, Load/Save function works fine. The Load part is intended to restore a configuration backup on an Apex with the hardware configuration the same as when the backup was made. This could be the same Apex system or an identically-equipped system, but if any module address has changed or is different than in the system was at the time the backup was made, then the hardware is different and the restore will not work properly.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.