Thread: COR 20 Hard Plumbing Noise

Frequent Visitor

COR 20 Hard Plumbing Noise

I'm in the process of upgrading my 80 to a 120, and I plan on using the COR 20 for a return pump. Currently I'm working on the plumbing design, so I would like to hear from those of you who are running a COR 20 and have it hard plumped.

How is the noise?

Any vibration transferred to the plumbing?

Now I know I could use a piece of flex between the pump and the return line, but I want that to be the last resort.

Thanks for any feed back you can provide.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Very minimal noise or vibration. I have a 1" piece of silicone tubing that goes from the Cor to the first hard plumbed section but I don't think that was necessary. I just had it in place from a previous pump and kept it there. These pumps are so quiet and smooth that I can tell if a little piece of chaeto or debris is in the impeller just by feeling the plumbing coming from the pump. If there is any vibration or noise I know something is in there.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the info.

Frequent Visitor
    Mine is hard plumbed and no problems with noise or vibration

Frequent Visitor
    I have mine hard-plumbed as well. I have a piece of rubber where the PVC pipe rested against the stand that reduces any noise from vibration transmission from the pipe so the stand. (I added that with a previous pump, so I don't know if it's necessary for the COR or not) Either way, there is minimal noise or vibration from the pump. Virtually identical to a Varios6.

Using a piece of vinyl or silicone tubing will reduce transmission, but the barbed fittings add a lot of head loss and reduce flow. You can also use ultra-flex PVC.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

@ Sleepydoc, I'm trying to avoid using a flex section between the COR 20 and the rest of the plumbing. But if I have to go that route, I can get a piece of silicone tubing that has a 1¾" id which is the same as the od of 1¼" PVC. I would slip it over the PVC so there wouldn't be any restrictions. How I do that is, using a 1500watt heat gun, I heat up the end of the PVC, then once soft, I put a slight flare into the end. This makes the PVC a barbed end so to speak. Then slide the silicone tubing over and secure with either (2)plastic zip ties or a plastic ratchet clamp.
    If above the water line, I use a stainless steel worm style clamp. I've done this countless times before, never had a leak or have the hose come off. But again, that's a last resort.

Frequent Visitor
    @Member No 1- That's a great trick for avoiding the barbs. You could even make the end of a PVC pipe 'barbed' by scoring it or using a router or table saw to cut some shallow circumferential grooves in the end. Silicone tubing is pretty grippy, though, so for the pressures that we deal with, the hose clamp or zip ties should fine.

You would still get some turbulence and head loss from the step that the ends of the PVC pipes create in the lumen, but that's far better than a typical hose barb.

What I would do is get all of your plumbing glued up with the exception of the last portion by the pump where you are trying to decide between PVC and tubing. Cut and fit the slip fittings and just connect them as temporary friction fit connections then try running the pump like that for a few minutes. I'd never recommend using connections like this long term, but for a few minutes so you can get an idea of noise it should be fine as long as you're right there watching to make sure nothing comes loose. If you're happy with the noise level then you can go ahead and glue them up.

As several have said, there’s so little vibration from a COR that there’s no need to use a section of flexible tubing to provide isolation or damping. But if you want to do so, and have larger piping (1.25 or greater) there’s an easier and readily available way which is very similar to what Member No. 1 described a couple of posts prior to this one. Your local home improvement or hardware store should have these rubber couplers in 1.25. 1.5, and 2”

They also come variants to adapt between sizes, such as 1.25/1.5”.

I used one of these on a closed loop system to isolate a big pump from the rest of the plumbing for years and still use them on occasion.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.