Thread: Custom 1link cable

New User

Custom 1link cable

If I wanted to make a custom 1link cable that's 30 ft, what gauge wire would I need? I'm wanting to install my Atk pump in remote resovoir about 30ft away. I already have the male and female 4 pin molex connectors.

The pump included with the ATK does not use a 1LINK connection; it uses a 2-pin connector. The max supported cable length is 20’ as stated in this sticky post: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-ACC-Ports-FAQ
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The pump included with the ATK does not use a 1LINK connection; it uses a 2-pin connector. The max supported cable length is 20’ as stated in this sticky post: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-ACC-Ports-FAQ
    What is the AWG of the cable that comes with? The OP was talking about remaking with larger gage and if we know that information, a cable of equivalent resistance can be made of much longer lengths than the 20' max.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    What is the AWG of the cable that comes with? The OP was talking about remaking with larger gage and if we know that information, a cable of equivalent resistance can be made of much longer lengths than the 20' max.
    I'm not sure, I was hoping someone would chime in with that info. I just ordered the ATK and was I was wanting to go ahead and track down the needed cable so I could be ready to install when my unit gets here.

Regular Vistor
    If you figure it out and are able to successfully build a 1Link cable thats longer than 20' let us know here. Also where did you get the molex connectors?

New User
    MOLEX MICRO CONNECTOR 2 POSITION MALE
    MOLEX MICRO CONNECTOR 2 POSITION FEMALE

I believe these are the correct connectors. I won't know for sure until this evening (my ATK arrives today). I have a spool of 16awg outdoor speaker wire left over from another project that I'm going to give a try. If that doesn't work, I'll try something bigger. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrl2 View Post

I believe these are the correct connectors. I won't know for sure until this evening (my ATK arrives today). I have a spool of 16awg outdoor speaker wire left over from another project that I'm going to give a try. If that doesn't work, I'll try something bigger. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Can't wait to hear of the results. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kingrl2 View Post

You're gonna need to snip some strands off of the speaker wire to make 16awg work with that connector since it's 20AWG max. But you can be certain that will be good for voltage drop since there is no way the neptune cable is less than 20AWG (its probably 22) so anything larger than 17 is guaranteed to work for voltage drop (18 would work if it's 22).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    I can confirm that the pmup works while being located about 40-50 feet away using the 16awg speaker wire. The hardest part was indeed connecting the ends on the cable. I finally got my soldering iron out and used a sparing amount of solder because using too much will keep the pins from inserting into the connector. My advice is to order several. I ordered 5 of each and I only have a few pins left after multiple failures.

One other tip, it does matter which wire is plugged into which side of the connector. If you get them swapped up the pmup will not power on. Just swap them up and everything works fine.