Thread: Orp Low....

Orp Low....

So I have had my Apex running for 6-7 months now. ORP was 350-400 for first few months. I had accidentally used a brass fitting with a flow sensor, and orp dropped quickly after a few days. Was about 180-200 at low, corals looked bad. Quickly realized what went wrong, removed fitting, ran carbon and poly filter, and orp came back up to about 250 to 275 max. Why hasn’t the number come up to original highs? I see most of my friends tanks are 375 average....

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will take a while to get back to normal. I would expect at minimum two 25% or larger water changes and running carbon for at least a week before everything is back to normal. Dissolved brass can lock up in your rocks and sand and it will take a while before it's all removed.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Orp Low....

So I am still at same range months and months later, should I calibrate the probe? Or is this range my new range? I'm still at 265-275... Others I know are around 400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
    So I am still at same range months and months later, should I calibrate the probe? Or is this range my new range? I'm still at 265-275... Others I know are around 400

If everything is happy and you have relatively clean rocks, you could consider that your new normal. Calibrating ORP can be quite expensive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Solution is expensive?? How about a new probe? Was thinking about taking some fresh salt water and testing probe in a cup and seeing if there is a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
    Solution is expensive?? How about a new probe? Was thinking about taking some fresh salt water and testing probe in a cup and seeing if there is a difference...

Calibrating ORP requires a saturated quinhydrone solution and that stuff is hard to come by and pretty expensive (like $60-80).

Checking a fresh cup of NSW would be a good test for sure. The actual ORP value isn't what really matters, it's the relative value compared to a clean source that matters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Calibrating the ORP probe can be tedious. Here's the standards kit you need to do it if you want to proceed. Do manual calibration, and make sure you use the quinhydrone 7 solution for the first step; the calibration instructions used to mistakenly have the order reversed and I haven't checked lately to see if this typo has been corrected.

Just an FYI: Some brands of freshly mixed salt water have a much lower ORP that my DT (Red Sea Coral Pro in particular), and doing a water change temporarily brings my ORP down by about 50 points. So testing against freshly made saltwater may or may not be helpful, depending on the reading you get.

So I installed a 40W UV Sterilizer and my orp is now up to 340.....