Thread: Apex Classic Base Unit: Does it actually need an Internet Connection to work???

Regular Vistor

Apex Classic Base Unit: Does it actually need an Internet Connection to work???

Does the Apex Classic unit actually NEED to be connected to the Internet to function properly?

I am still trouble-shooting the random restarts after upgrading to the latest Firmware. There had been noise on the line according to my ISP, but that is supposedly repaired. My Firmware for my Cable Modem has been updated. My router has the latest firmware. My WiFi adapter has the latest firmware. My one Apex is connected directly to my router via ethernet, while my other one is connected via WiFi adapter. BOTH tanks have rebooted at the same or similar times after upgrading to the latest Firmware. But I would think, or hope, that these Apex Units would STILL function regardless of the internet connection.

I have posed this question to Apex Customer Support as well, as they want me to send in my Base Unit for examination and repair.

NSI Member
    The Apex classic will run fine without a network connection. You would lose Fusion and access to the local config page. It can be controlled via the display or by connecting a PC to it.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gritbob View Post
    Does the Apex Classic unit actually NEED to be connected to the Internet to function properly?

I am still trouble-shooting the random restarts after upgrading to the latest Firmware. There had been noise on the line according to my ISP, but that is supposedly repaired. My Firmware for my Cable Modem has been updated. My router has the latest firmware. My WiFi adapter has the latest firmware. My one Apex is connected directly to my router via ethernet, while my other one is connected via WiFi adapter. BOTH tanks have rebooted at the same or similar times after upgrading to the latest Firmware. But I would think, or hope, that these Apex Units would STILL function regardless of the internet connection.

I have posed this question to Apex Customer Support as well, as they want me to send in my Base Unit for examination and repair.
    Have you tried installing the previous firmware? I know this has been suggested to several people but I have yet to see someone come back online and say all their problems were resolved. I have 4.52 5A17

Frequent Visitor
    I also had this problem and was going to downgrade but I decided to open a ticket with support before the try.

They said that I was having to much dropping packet with the Wireless Internet Connection and that was causing the reboot. I am actually making a test of 24 hours and hardwired the APEX to see. At least 12 hours has past and I haven't seen a reboot and neither nothing in the logs.

Let's see at the 24hr. mark.

Frequent Visitor
    I have the same problem, the apex connect and disconnect many times when i connect to internet.

I have the version 4.53 AB17 actually, i think in apply downgrade, but i don´t know who is the previous version of firmware, and where i found it?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto CRC View Post
    I have the same problem, the apex connect and disconnect many times when i connect to internet.

I have the version 4.53 AB17 actually, i think in apply downgrade, but i don´t know who is the previous version of firmware, and where i found it?
    Contact support. Downgrading (especially from that version) is much more complicated than simply updating the firmware with an older version and will make things worse not help if you don't follow every step (none of these steps are in the manuals). More likely than not, the issue is actually the symptom of something else like a failed or failing component, corrupt config, network issue, etc that downgrading will do nothing to help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks @zombie.

Ok I understand, and it will be that there is already a newer version of the firmware?. I currently have version 4.53 AB17