Thread: Abyzz Progrmming

Regular Vistor

Abyzz Progrmming

Hi

I'm looking to program two separate Abyzz return pumps to;

(1) Monitor the FMK for each pump.
    (2) Adjust the flow for each pump to equal and maintain a flow of 600 GPH.

I have the hardware but I don't know how to auto increase or decrease the flow?

Gene

You can to a point using a process known in the electrical engineering world as "stepped proportional control". This takes a lot of testing to pull off. Because of the control limitations with proportional control without integral or differential feedback, there will be steady state error if the plumbing physical parameters change (like friction due to algae buildup) but less so than with no proportional control.

Example. Under normal circumstances I have tested that 600gph is reached at 57%. Flow drops to 560gph when simulating lots of algae covering the outlet and inlet and can be returned to 600gph at 67%. Removing the duck bill to simulate increased flow increases flow to 640gph and reduces to 600gph at 47%.

Set 47
    If Flow < 560 Then 67
    If Flow < 570 Then 65
    If Flow < 580 Then 63
    If Flow < 590 Then 61
    If Flow < 600 Then 59
    If Flow < 610 Then 57
    If Flow < 620 Then 55
    If Flow < 630 Then 53
    If Flow < 640 Then 51
    If Flow < 650 Then 49

The end result is that the same situation that would drop or increase flow by 10% now only changes it by 5% or so. By adjusting the values (within reason) you could potentially reduce that even further but it's a lot of work and has the disadvantage of creating huge changes in flow when the flow sensor has a problem. It becomes a balancing act between flow changes after flow sensor issues vs reducing the change under potential load changes.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks zombie,
    The stepped control doesn't seem feasible. I don't want to add more potential problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gpwdr View Post
    Thanks zombie,
    The stepped control doesn't seem feasible. I don't want to add more potential problems.
    I agree. The only time it's really worthwhile is if you have a manifold with solenoid controlled runs or you turn the knobs often on a manifold.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.