Thread: Apex PM2 Salinity Reading Issue?!? This is a Strange one?

New User

Apex PM2 Salinity Reading Issue?!? This is a Strange one?

Hey guys,

Having some trouble with my PM2/Salinity readings. Did a bunch of research on the forums. Haven't seen this issue anywhere. Basically when my skimmer is on my Salinity drops 2 points?

I'm familiar with the calibration process, temp compensation, margin of error, etc. The probe is less than a year old and just recently calibrated.

This all started about 3 weeks ago. Corals were looking a little pale and nutrients seemed very low so I decided to lower my skimmer run time to 12hrs vs. 24/7 to try to dirty up the tank a little.

Things I've tried:
    Calibration
    Inspected the skimmer (I was worried about micro bubbles_ None found)
    Interference from other probes/power lines so I moved the conductivity probe wiring away from all other wires
    Moved the probe location (12-16 inches away from original spot, still in the same section as skimmer. Might need to move it further away? But why it used to work fine there?)

Any Guesses?

Maybe my skimmer pump is leaking some current in my tank? (Reef Octopus Elite 220 INT with a Varios 6-S DC pump) Gosh!!! I hope its not my skimmer pump...its only 1 year old?

Many thanks for all opinions.

-Chris

Skimmer.jpg

Based on why you have said thus far, I suspect stray current/voltage. Do you have a grounding probe in your tank?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Grounding probe worked like a charm! Thanks zombie, and amazon prime same day

Salt2.png

If it were me, I'd want to find and correct the source of that. Just sayin'.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    If it were me, I'd want to find and correct the source of that. Just sayin'.

The stray current you’re talking about? Yes, I was thinking the same. Pretty sure it’s my DC skimmer pump. Guess I should see what kind of support I can get from Reef Octopus. Kinda bummed I’m having issues with it within a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's definitely something to not just whistle past the graveyard on. Since it's a DC pump, probably not a huge safety issue, but if there's current leakage into the tank, then likely there's something within the pump that's making contact with the water. Chances are that something is made of copper. Fish-only tank, that's in general probably on the whole beneficial from a health perspective, but corals, very different story there.

Apex PM2 Salinity Reading Issue?!? This is a Strange one?

+1 to alb’s thoughts. And if that pump is leaking current, it will probably continue to get worse.

A grounding probe alleviates a symptom (affected probe reading) but just masks the problem, rather than solving the problem.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Reached out to CoralVue and Reef Octopus. Filed a ticket. Looks like the pump has a 2 year warranty. Hopefully this issue gets resolved smoothly. I'll update you all soon.

Thanks everyone for your tips and feedback.

-Chris