Thread: Communication between 2 apex units on the same network

Regular Vistor

Communication between 2 apex units on the same network

So I just purchased a new Apex to replace my Apex Classic. In this process I am splitting off one of the tanks that was on the apex to its own unit. Is there a way to interface between the two units? for example if Apex 1 is calling for top off water can Apex 2 turn on a solenoid to deliver the top off water?

Perhaps some way to do this using the 24v ports and a Break out box? (maybe the 24v port triggers a relay that connects two wires on the second units breakout box, then this is programmed to turn the solenoid on or off?)

If this isn't possible can the 24v port on the FMM be extended, lets say 50 feet?

Thanks!

If you need communication between the two tanks, you need to run both with one apex.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker314 View Post
    (maybe the 24v port triggers a relay that connects two wires on the second units breakout box, then this is programmed to turn the solenoid on or off?)
    This is a viable approach.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    If you need communication between the two tanks, you need to run both with one apex.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    Tried this route and I was way over the allowed number of outlets causing the apex to crash and lose all my programming. Playing it safe. I think I have a solution for my scenario but was curious about ant possibility for intergrating. It seems the relay option would work but it's another moving part to break down.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    It depends on what kind of communication you need between the tanks. The easiest would be to have one apex run both, but if they are two full setups (as opposed to your display tank and a relatively simple quarantine tank) then that may not work. If you only need to signal a few things between them, then using a relay to close a switch connected to the breakout box would likely work fine.