Thread: IceCap Maxspect XF150/250 Interface Module

Regular Vistor

IceCap Maxspect XF150/250 Interface Module

After viewing the videos in regards to my new XF250 Maxspect Gyre and how to get the Apex system to manage it. Recommendations were to use the interface module. There’s the problem the xf250 has been out of stock for some time and I have been waiting on that email notification so that I could purchase it. Now it has been discontinued, WTH. Some folks said the xf150 interface module would work and others indicated that the xf130 would take care of it.
    I just want to know what I have to do to get the gyre to operate through my Neptune system. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Regular Vistor
    Following. I would like to know if a replacement is in the works too

There’s a CoralVue sponsor forum on R2R which would more suitable a place to inquire about availability and plans for Icecap and Maxspect products.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Respectfully, I don't really agree. I'm also looking for answers for my Apex and how to best control a Gyre. Seems a lot like these forums would be a good place for anyone to share info about why the module was discontinued, any word from anyone on replacement coming out or a good solution for controlling a Gyre with a current product. Saying "ask somewhere else" isn't really helpful.

If you have a specific link to a thread somewhere else with those answers, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by HaubFather View Post
    Respectfully, I don't really agree. I'm also looking for answers for my Apex and how to best control a Gyre. Seems a lot like these forums would be a good place for anyone to share info about why the module was discontinued, any word from anyone on replacement coming out or a good solution for controlling a Gyre with a current product. Saying "ask somewhere else" isn't really helpful.

If you have a specific link to a thread somewhere else with those answers, that would be great.
    That's not what Russ is saying at all. He is saying that for knowledge concerning future prospects or product availability from a vendor you will be more likely to get a response directly from that vendor in a forum that they frequent. Much like you would expect knowledgeable responses about Neptune products here, but less so on someplace like R2R or ReefCentral, you would expect a forum another vendor frequents to have knowledgeable responses there but less so here.

Knowing what is currently compatible, and if compatible, how to integrate with the apex is what you could expect many people to know on this forum. What some manufacturer other than Neptune is planning in the future is something none of us will know.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That's not what Russ is saying at all. He is saying that for knowledge concerning future prospects or product availability from a vendor you will be more likely to get a response directly from that vendor in a forum that they frequent. Much like you would expect knowledgeable responses about Neptune products here, but less so on someplace like R2R or ReefCentral, you would expect a forum another vendor frequents to have knowledgeable responses there but less so here.

Knowing what is currently compatible, and if compatible, how to integrate with the apex is what you could expect many people to know on this forum. What some manufacturer other than Neptune is planning in the future is something none of us will know.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I can agree with that on the future products etc. I wasn’t trying to be rude just not sure where else to turn for answers as well. Its simply odd to me that a seemingly popular product like the Gyre wouldn’t have current solution to what I’m sure a lot of reefers desire. Anyone have a link for a type of forum mentioned?

In the meantime, I’m still looking for a solution to control a Gyre 250 from my Apex. Is the best current option to get the Maxspec Gyre controller and simply use Apex to control power, therefor on/off for feed modes etc? Does anyone have expirence with their controller? Any downsides to removing power; loss of programming by eventually draining any internal battery to retain programming for power outages by disconnecting from power daily?

Quote Originally Posted by HaubFather View Post
    Ah, thank you for the clarification. I can agree with that on the future products etc. I wasn’t trying to be rude just not sure where else to turn for answers as well. Its simply odd to me that a seemingly popular product like the Gyre wouldn’t have current solution to what I’m sure a lot of reefers desire. Anyone have a link for a type of forum mentioned?

In the meantime, I’m still looking for a solution to control a Gyre 250 from my Apex. Is the best current option to get the Maxspec Gyre controller and simply use Apex to control power, therefor on/off for feed modes etc? Does anyone have expirence with their controller? Any downsides to removing power; loss of programming by eventually draining any internal battery to retain programming for power outages by disconnecting from power daily?
    The best option is an ice cap, but if you can't find a compatible one, you can still do things like feed modes and whatnot using an energy bar. At what point the gyre controller will lose its programming I do not know and is a question to ask the manufacturer directly, but I know many people using the controller on an energy bar for feeds and maintenance and have not lost programming so I would assume it's in the hours or days range is it's even volitile at all.

I haven't seen a thread on here about how cross compatibility works between the different ice cap models, but I'm sure if you sent an email to ice cap they could tell you with 100% certainty. There's a decent chance that if they discontinued the 150 model they have another solution for it.

I've controlled an XF250 with both the Gyre Advanced controller and the now-discontinued Icecap interface module.

The Gyre advanced controller is excellent; the manual could be more useful, but once you understand the programming sequence and which buttons to press, it becomes easy to try different things. In my experience, it hasn't lost it's programming even after being disconnected from power for several hours, and it reactivates with previous settings within 5 seconds of restoring the power.

I eventually switched that tank's Gyre away from the advanced controller, and connected it to the Apex via the discontinued Icecap. The first thing I noticed is that, when connected to the Icecap/Apex, the Gyre generates much less power/flow at any given percentage level than when controlled by the Gyre controller, about 30% less in my case. Others have also reported this. Some have also reported odd recurrent error conditions running the Gyre with the Icecap as well. However, aside from the reduced power issue, it has otherwise worked flawlessly for me.

I just set up two Gyres on a new tank, using the Gyre controller which can power and run two XF250s in sync, anti-sync, and other modes. It's working great. I could program pretty much the same flow pattern as I am currently using on the Apex, and had planned to eventually do so, when I discovered this discontinued adapter issue. Why was it discontinued? Perhaps because of the performance issues I mentioned. Rumor is that a new version will be coming out, but I've only heard that from one person.

I do not know if any of the other Icecap adapters would work with the XF250. Even if they functioned at all, I suspect output would be even further reduced from what the Gyre is capable of.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    I've controlled an XF250 with both the Gyre Advanced controller and the now-discontinued Icecap interface module.

The Gyre advanced controller is excellent; the manual could be more useful, but once you understand the programming sequence and which buttons to press, it becomes easy to try different things. In my experience, it hasn't lost it's programming even after being disconnected from power for several hours, and it reactivates with previous settings within 5 seconds of restoring the power.

I eventually switched that tank's Gyre away from the advanced controller, and connected it to the Apex via the Icecap. The first thing I noticed is that, when connected to the Icecap/Apex, the Gyre generates much less power/flow at any given percentage level than when controlled by the Gyre controller, about 30% less in my case. Others have also reported this. Some have also reported odd recurrent error conditions running the Gyre with the Icecap as well. However, aside from the reduced power issue, it has otherwise worked flawlessly for me.

I just set up two Gyres on a new tank, using the Gyre controller which can power and run two XF250s in sync, anti-sync, and other modes. It's working great. I could program pretty much the same flow pattern as I am currently using on the Apex, and had planned to eventually do so, when I discovered this discontinued adapter issue. Why was it discontinued? Perhaps because of the performance issues I mentioned. Rumor is that a new version will be coming out, but I've only heard that from one person.

I do not know if any of the other Icecap adapters would work with the XF250. Even if they functioned at all, I suspect output would be even further reduced from what the Gyre is capable of.
    This is excellent info, and exactly what I was looking for!

Sounds like using the Apex to control power to the Gyre controller would be the optimal setup currently with available products.

I really appreciate the input! If you don’t mind, what settings have you found for your particular tank that you enjoy via the Gyre controller? Perhaps I can just emulate as a starting point for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to make a recommendation, every setup is different, especially with the gyres. You really have to experiment and fine tune it to the size of your tank, how many gyres and how they're positioned, what kind of flow you want, and so on.

With my first tank, I have one gyre positioned horizontally at the upper edge of the left sidewall. I tried using alternating gyre mode with this setup but found there was more sandblasting than I like directly beneath the pump when running in reverse mode. I have that one under Apex control now, with varying pulsing profiles active at different times of the day. If you use a similar setup, you might trying the gyre pulsing mode first, with the maximum max flow duration (I think it's 10 seconds in this mode), and starting max percentage output of 70% (should be very obvious if it is too much or too little for you), min percentage outpout of 20%, and adjust from there.

You probably saw that the advanced controller also has a couple of special programmed modes that will work with one gyre but are better for two, called lunar tidal and oceanic gyre. I haven't tried these, but they provide variable forward and back flow throughout the day. To make this work with one gyre, you have to switch one of the pump cylinders to the opposite type.

NSI Member
    There are some major issues with the Maxspect Gyre controller, in my opinion, that warrant control from a dedicated controller like the Apex or any other for that matter. Basically it comes down to:

1. Editor or ease of use to add, modify, or create flow patterns
    2. Download, export, import, or share configuration / wave patterns (has a built in sd slot / go figure)
    3. DIY cable interface for (insert controller of choice here) controller support without expensive middleware devices
    4. Poor customization of built-in flows LTC/OCG (A vs B running at different times instead of working together)
    5. Limited support to run A or B at different times - there is no off
    6. Only increment in 10% steps - why not a number or increments of 5?
    7. 0 should equal off

1 and 2 are big issues for me. I get #3 with regards to middle box between controller and pumps. However, one sells the other so both parties win out in the end. A lot of the other grips of mine, and I own two XF250's, comes from my Reef Angel control over the Jebao wave makers. Has cheap as those things are simple cable purchase and I had more control, sync, anti-sync, on, off, and all around Boolean logic to control wave patterns with ease. This advanced (subjective) controller is nothing more than a iterative process to the next thing and my gut tells me our current models won't be compatible.

Don't get me wrong - the pumps move a lot of water, especially the XF250. Too much for my unmature 210 gallon tank. Which is my main gripe. I can't adjust the flow or alternate it enough so I'm not thrashing my corals around that I moved over. So coral placement is key of course but less control makes it a lot more difficult. Why I'm posting here I guess is because I was searching for the Apex link to control these pumps. Not found a good solution yet so was curious what Apex users are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
    There are some major issues with the Maxspect Gyre controller, in my opinion, that warrant control from a dedicated controller like the Apex or any other for that matter. Basically it comes down to:

1. Editor or ease of use to add, modify, or create flow patterns
    2. Download, export, import, or share configuration / wave patterns (has a built in sd slot / go figure)
    3. DIY cable interface for (insert controller of choice here) controller support without expensive middleware devices
    4. Poor customization of built-in flows LTC/OCG (A vs B running at different times instead of working together)
    5. Limited support to run A or B at different times - there is no off
    6. Only increment in 10% steps - why not a number or increments of 5?
    7. 0 should equal off

1 and 2 are big issues for me. I get #3 with regards to middle box between controller and pumps. However, one sells the other so both parties win out in the end. A lot of the other grips of mine, and I own two XF250's, comes from my Reef Angel control over the Jebao wave makers. Has cheap as those things are simple cable purchase and I had more control, sync, anti-sync, on, off, and all around Boolean logic to control wave patterns with ease. This advanced (subjective) controller is nothing more than a iterative process to the next thing and my gut tells me our current models won't be compatible.

Don't get me wrong - the pumps move a lot of water, especially the XF250. Too much for my unmature 210 gallon tank. Which is my main gripe. I can't adjust the flow or alternate it enough so I'm not thrashing my corals around that I moved over. So coral placement is key of course but less control makes it a lot more difficult. Why I'm posting here I guess is because I was searching for the Apex link to control these pumps. Not found a good solution yet so was curious what Apex users are doing.
    You have to use an ice cap if you can find one and I have heard the Aqualink A1 is also compatible with 150/250 models. For 130/230 models, only the ice cap is compatible.