Thread: WAV as possible replacement for MP10wes

Regular Vistor

WAV as possible replacement for MP10wes

In an effort to increase the flow in my mixed 90 Gallon I am considering replacing the 3 vortech MP10Wes fans I have now with the WAV kit. I have 2 concerns.

The first is the reliability. I still see many posts of stalled or disconnected or some other issue preventing 2 pumps from operating correctly. Has Neptune done any research to determine any common points of failure for the WAV pumps? Have there been any design or manufacturing changes made to improve on these points or are all of the components and manufacturers still the same from the date of release?

Second is the lowest setting on the WAV in a 90 gallon standard. I have read that at 1% the WAV still produces 1450 GPH of flow which is close to the 100% flowrate of the MP10. Can Neptune confirm the WAV pump tested GPH on a WAV at its lowest possible setting? This may or may not be an issue based on placement and using deflection as opposed to direct flow but part of the current schedule is a standing wave in the evening. I am not sure that is possible using deflection off the front glass to disperse flow.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and respond to this post.

Regular Vistor
    I have decided to purchase the WAV starter kit. As there have been no replies to my OP you ca go ahead and delete this post

Control Freak In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by azsoccerpop View Post
    I have decided to purchase the WAV starter kit. As there have been no replies to my OP you ca go ahead and delete this post
    I am setting up a 90, can you please report your findings once you set your wavs up?

Regular Vistor
    Ok the WAV startup kit is in. The pumps are heavy and very quiet. The magnets are super strong and I can see them holding with no issue to the rated 1 inch thick glass. I am running them constant at 1% over night and they are running at around 1800 rpm. I will turn the pumps off on feed mode and use the return to push food around the tank. I placed the right one on the side glass where the MP10 was and the left I was able to put on the back wall and angle at the front glass. Setup was a breeze with the only issue being the 1link circuit board inside came free when I connected the aquabus and I had to open the module and re-glue it back into position with hot glue. Not really a crisis. Once connected up I downloaded a scheme for a 100 Gallon (thank you iamchadster) and applied. Then copied to the other WAV and change the pulse and pipeline modes to inverse mode to get a standing wave and oscillation. The replacement time took 2 hours start to finish and I am very pleased with the increase flow and surface agitation as I have an acrylic tank with access holes and not a wide open tank for gas exchange.