Thread: HELP APEX GONE HAYWIRE! Destroying Everything!

New User

HELP APEX GONE HAYWIRE! Destroying Everything!

URGENT!!!!

My Apex just went berserk. I am a few hours away from my house and my Apex went full evil/crazy. It gave me a Heartbeat warning, which has only happened once or twice before, always when the power went out. Other household connected items are still on so the power is still on. It said reconnected a few seconds later but it switched everything to the OPPOSITE OF ITS FALLBACK STATE and won't let me change anything!!!

CO2 is stuck on, my water change routine is stuck on. The return pump is set to off and the heaters are running on full blast. Worst of all is my solenoids that hook up to my water line are switched to on/off (one NC and one NO so it can never overflow). They are stuck both open flooding water into my house. Apex will not respond, if I change the switch to off/on it just immediately switches it back to the other state. It won't let me change the code either.

I can't get home for a few more hours and apex is actively flooding my house and gassing my fish!

PLEASE HELP!

Call support. A problem of that magnitude has many steps us non neptune employees don't know and you will want someone to talk you through it.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Check to make sure your EB did not jump addresses. Look in the unused tile bin and see if you have new outlets listed there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    I managed to get a neighbor to get into my house. They were able to shut off the water to the house and manually close my CO2 container. The carpet is quite wet but thankfully the tank is in the basement so there shouldn't be any lasting damage. My neighbor said the light on the Apex was switching between Green orange and purple every few seconds, and the light on the energy bar was blinking orange on and off. It was also making a clicking sound. The fish seem to be ok, and my circulation pumps are not hooked up to the apex so there should hopefully be enough oxygen until I get home.

Looking at my tiles it seems to have a duplicate DOS system listed in the new tiles section. I only have one DOS and it is already listed on the main page. Now that the immediate danger is over hopefully I can try and figure out what is happening.

Would the EB jumping addresses cause the programming to do weird things like use the programming for a different module?

Frequent Visitor
    If it jumped addresses, the programming for the outlets go back to default programming since it is now a new module.

It's because of issues like this I wish Neptune had 24 x 7 support. Even a pay-to-play off hours option would be better than watching your tank crash while you wait for support to get in and call you back. I hope a wet floor is the worst the OP will experience with this problem.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    If it jumped addresses, the programming for the outlets go back to default programming since it is now a new module.
    Is this a normal occurrence?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jmheron View Post
    Is this a normal occurrence?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Not common but it can and has happened to people before.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Well I've had a few days to assess the situation and clean things up. Floor is dry and didn't lose any fish thankfully. Tank is an algae covered mess, but that can be fixed

I finally figured out what went wrong. My PMUP that I use for water changes failed. It has a giant bulge in the side of it and when it gets power it creates a short in the system. This causes the APEX to go absolutely haywire. It loses connection to the wifi and switches everything that is set to "auto" to the opposite of its fallback state. I have no idea why. I ordered a new one so hopefully that fixes the problem. I'll updated again once it arrives.

I've heard of similar things happening to others. Scary.

Can I ask -

Was your pmup connected to an FMM, or directly to your EB832? Mine is connected to the energy bar, and if yours was as well, I may have to reconsider that configuration.

Also, how long has that pmup been in service?

And, when you disconnected the defective pmup, did everything else work properly again, or was there other permanent damage?

Thanks.

New User
    It was connected directly to the EB832. I've had it just about a year.

After disconnecting it everything seems to be working well. I have almost everything turned back on and working again and there hasn't been any more problems since disconnecting it. The biggest test will be when I plug in the replacement PMUP to see if that outlet still works correctly. But no permanent damage as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the followup info.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerses24 View Post
    It was connected directly to the EB832.
    That's what I was afraid of. I wonder if EB failure would still occur if a pmup suffered electrical failure while connected to an FMM, rather than directly to the EB 24V power supply? I suspect that it might not, instead damaging the FMM and/or its power supply brick, which would be much less catastrophic.

Frequent Visitor
    Ouch. If this happens to a PMUP, then I guess the same could happen to any device plugged into the EB?

I would have expected perhaps the individual socket on the EB to shutdown though, rather than the whole thing? Is there a programmatical way to avoid this? (Perhaps setting an OFF state if the power draw is out of range?)

New User
    Well I got my replacement pmup yesterday, and everything appears to be functioning correctly. No permanent damage. I'm not really sure how to prevent something similar from happening in the future though. I may ask over in the programming sections if anyone has any ideas.