Thread: Adding Relay-controlled valve to AWC with DOS

New User

Adding Relay-controlled valve to AWC with DOS

Description: My NSW tank is located about 3 feet above my sump. I run a 70' line to my DOS pump under my tank. I don't want to have a possible siphon should something in the DOS pump fail.

Desire: I've got a 24VDC normally-closed valve I can install on my NSW feed line. I'd like Apex to open this valve when the DOS pump turns on, and close it 1 minute after the DOS pump has finished adding new salt water.

Relevant details: My new saltwater pump is named "NSW" in Apex. The 24VDC valve is named "NSW_Valve" and the output is configured as "advanced". My 24VDC valve is located at 24V Accessory Output A on the EB832 named EB832_2 at Aquabus address 2.

Problem: My code isn't working! I have the following code in the "advanced" tab of NSW_Valve:

Set OFF
    If Output NSW = ON Then ON
    Defer 001:00 Then ON

This doesn't seem to be working. NSW_Valve shows as always on.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks!

That only works if you configure the DOS with OSC and profiles. If you use the wizard, the outlet displays as always ON.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks. I'm not experienced enough to setup a manual schedule using the OSC command. Is there any other way to accomplish what I'm looking for? I simply want to have the solenoid turn on when the pump activates. If not, plan B is to time the solenoid valve to turn on (using the TIME command) at the same time the DOS pump is accomplishing the AWC.

And, seriously, thanks again. You're great advice is everywhere here.

There isn't a workaround and unfortunately, setting up an OSC or if time statements for the solenoid is even more difficult than setting up the DOS with OSC and profiles with the added disadvantage of requiring the entire process has to be redone if you change the wizard code or they change the algorithm after a fw update.

New User
    Well, that's that then. Note to Neptune: be nice to add this feature to the DOS. I can't be the only person to be concernned about possible siphon situations. The ability to control a solenoid valve along with the DOS has got to be a fairly common request. What about folks that store dosing solutions above their tank due to space reasons? Anyway, consider this in the future-features department...

Regular Vistor
    Your other option would be to add a high water level float switch some where in your system. If the water triggers it, then valve closed. Other wise it’s set to open all the time or at least during the hours your dos runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willtheld View Post
    Your other option would be to add a high water level float switch some where in your system. If the water triggers it, then valve closed. Other wise it’s set to open all the time or at least during the hours your dos runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That wouldnt help. The issue he is worried about is a siphon from the storage container in the rare event the DOS head fails to seal. If/when this does happen the trickle would be super slow and lead to an elevated salinity over a long period of time.

New User
    Zombie is correct. The slow siphon would raise salinity. My salinity monitor may pick this up as well. Use of a solenoid valve was contemplated as a safety backup, prudent for any automated system attached to your tank. A shame this can't be easily done.