Thread: Apex providing false alarms?

Regular Vistor

Apex providing false alarms?

Upon my return from my Christmas holidays I returned to my beautifully planted 210 gallon tank to find an anaerobic digester. I had received several erratic readings and alarms from my fully "APEXed" tank but they were "one of" or a short series spanning 30-40 minutes and did not make sense. For example a temperature reading that went up 20 degrees and triggered an alarm, or a pH probe registering pH 9.8 (when I am dosing CO2). I still have not figured out exactly what the problem was (is) - and currently am monitoring the controller and building in redundancy and virtual timers in all my control systems.

Question: I am receiving alarms from the controller telling me I have high temps (30C plus). When I look into the graphs on fusion - I do not see any of these spikes. The gradual diurnal rise and fall of the temperature of +/- 1C as lights come on etc. Now I don't know what to believe in my reports. Is the sampling function for the graphing at a different resolution such that several alarm messages could be sent while not seeing any concurrent change in the graphing function? (thinking that maybe the graphing function samples every 5 min and the alarm each sec?)

If I could understand what happened I can fix it - and I want to fix it before investing in literally thousands of dollars in substrate, plants and fish.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Probably a noise spike from a utility transient or electromagnetic interference with a probe. Add a 10 second defer to your email alarm and those won't send an alert. If they last longer than a 10 second defer it's something more involved than a noise spike (like voltage in the tank) and should be investigated.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Upon my return from my Christmas holidays I returned to my beautifully planted 210 gallon tank to find an anaerobic digester.
    I'll bite, what is a "anaerobic digester" (in layman's terms)?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    I'll bite, what is a "anaerobic digester" (in layman's terms)?
    Oxygen poor bacteria bloom.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.