Thread: Icecap gyre and / or Maxspect Gyre

New User

Icecap gyre and / or Maxspect Gyre

I know there have been posts about this and i think ive read most of them but the information seems to change or be inconsistent.

is the icecap gyre fully controllable with apex if you buy the icecap module?

Is the maxspect fully controllable if you buy the module? There is modules for both now correct? I think they are both owned by coralview and are the same company but i could be wrong.

Finally, does anyone have opinions on which one to go with? I have a 120gallon tank with the overflow on the left side so I need some good wide flow on the right side.

thanks!

They are fully controllable for direction and intensity independent with an ice cap. Which one to get I can't comment on since I don't own one.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Im sorry im not sure I exactly understand that first sentence. They are both controllable for direction and intensity. Independant? Do you mean with an ice cap or maxspect module or is it just ice cap? Sorry i just want to be sure before i purchase, im running out of outlets on my power bar and dont want to take up another one.

thanks

The ice cap is required for whatever you get. There are several versions so you have to get one that is compatible with the gyre you want.

Independent meaning you control intensity with one channel and direction with another. They aren't linked.

The IceCap 1k, 2k, and 3k pumps are not Apex-controllable; they operate solely as standalone pumps using their own control unit. I would probably have a pair of IceCap 1Ks in my office tank if they were Apex-compatible.

The IceCap Gyre Interface Modules (GIM) are for use only with Maxspect Gyres, and cannot be used with the IceCap gyre pumps.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Yup that was exactly the info i was looking for thank you!

Russ,
    I just installed an IceCap 1k in my tank along with my Vortechs just to see what the Gyre was all about. If I go with the big brother, the Gyre 230 and get the module, what will I actually be able to control in Apex? Do all the functions and modes become available? Or I still have to use the supplied controller to set modes??

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
    Russ,
    I just installed an IceCap 1k in my tank along with my Vortechs just to see what the Gyre was all about. If I go with the big brother, the Gyre 230 and get the module, what will I actually be able to control in Apex? Do all the functions and modes become available? Or I still have to use the supplied controller to set modes??
    All of the modes go away entirely. You instead control it using profiles which are limited to pulses, constant, and ramps. Only vortechs and WAVs can be run in "modes" from the apex.