Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unexplained alarm

Regular Vistor
    How do I change them to optical?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    It seems I'm still having this alarm come up. It just keeps showing the EmailAlm_l5.... On... than off again...

alarm 1.PNG

You change them to optical in the module setup page in the classic dashboard.

Considering the alarms are lasting longer then the 10 second defer OFF, it appears your high sensor is being triggered periodically. If changing to optical doesn't help, then something is splashing your sensor, the connector isn't seated properly, the sensor isn't clean, or there could also be a problem with the sensor itself.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Sorry, I attached the wrong image. The one below is of the alarms from this afternoon. It seems the water is reaching the second optical sensor. This is on a Innovative marine Peninsula Drop-off tank(AIO). What I think may be happening is the "Sump" section in the back is a small water volume, I think once it breaks the siphon... the little bit left in the line brings the water level to the second optical eye. I am not too sure though. Is it supposed to just reach the top of the 1st eye & shut off? Or is that what the second eye is for?

alarm 1.PNG

Regular Vistor
    I Don't see a module setup page in the dashboard...
    alarm 1.PNG

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefKeeper09 View Post
    I really appreciate the help guys!

Looking at my Configuration, The "Defer 000:04 then OFF"... That means it allows it to run 4 seconds more before being shut off? If so, that would be enough to go up to & past my second optical sensor. Being the total water volume in the back of this AIO is less than a gallon... More likely lest than a few quarts of water...

I Don't see a module setup page in the dashboard...
    alarm 1.PNG
    It's in the classic dashboard not fusion. You have to type the ip address of the apex into your browser to access it.

Regular Vistor
    Ah, okay. Gotcha! I was not aware of that. I'll check into that when I get home.

What do you think about my thought just before your reply? About the Defer off Configuration?

It's possible. The PMUP should pump out roughly 1 cup of water in 4 seconds. You could back that off to 1 or 2 seconds and see if it helps.

Regular Vistor
    So, I'm happy to report no alarm codes as of yet since I've changed the defer off to 000:02. Makes me feel much better. I was worried something was wrong with the ATO.

Also, just a random question. Changing to optical in the module setup, what does that do different than how it's setup now? Just curious.

So, I'm happy to report no alarm codes as of yet since I've changed the defer off to 000:02. Makes me feel much better. I was worried something was wrong with the ATO.

Also, just a random question. Changing to optical in the module setup, what does that do different than how it's setup now? Just curious.

It forces it to know that an optical is connected rather than letting the FMM figure it out. While somewhat rare, many have reported the switch reversing state because the auto-detect incorrectly detected the optical as a leak sensor after a reboot or power outage. By setting it to optical you eliminate the possibility of that bug occurring.

Changing to optical in the module setup, what does that do different than how it's setup now?
    There are 3 types on sensors that can currently be used with a FMM: leak detection probes, optical sensors, and flow sensors. The FMM, by default, has auto-detection of these enabled; it can differentiate between leak, flow, and optical sensors automatically. Side note: a FMM can auto-detect that a flow sensor is connected, but it cannot determine the size/model of that FS; it defaults to the 1" FS-100 when a flow sensor is auto-detected; if a 1/4", 1/2", or 2" flow sensor is connected, the size needs to be manually set by the user). Usually, auto-detect works well, and there generally is no need to disable auto-detect & set the sensor type automatically. However, sometimes EMI or other influences can cause the FMM to intermittently "see" a sensor of one type as some other type. In this case, then it is appropriate to disable auto-detect. I do not recommend disabling auto-detect as a standard practice.... do so only if you see the sensor changing between OPEN & CLOSED state inexplicably. Along similar lines, if a sensor is flat out being detected as some other type of sensor, chances are the sensor is not functioning properly, and it's therefore inadvisable to work around that by disabling auto-detect.

There is a caveat to this when using optical sensors - not a problem, but something to be cognizant of. When there is nothing is plugged into a FMM port and that port has auto-detect enabled (the default), it will behave as if a leak sensor was connected, indicating OPEN. If an optical sensor becomes unplugged from a FMM port with auto-detect enabled (or perhaps if the cable gets damaged), that port changes back to the default of Water On Floor (leak), and will indicate OPEN. An OPEN indication for a disconnected sensor is logical - it makes sense. Now if you disable auto-detect and set that port to Optical, the behavior changes... if that sensor becomes disconnected, the port will indicate CLOSED. This can be of importance to some people in some situations, but is not of significance when the ATK is used.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I appreciate the replies guys.

So Russ, by what I am reading... You are saying not to change it to Optical? Leave it as Auto-Detect.

Unexplained alarm

Not really - I suggest changing it from auto-detect/optical to no auto-detect/optical only if there is a good reason to do so.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    As of right now, things seem to be operating normally. No more random alarms & such. So, would you suggest holding off changing anything unless a problem arises?

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    An OPEN indication for a disconnected sensor is logical - it makes sense. Now if you disable auto-detect and set that port to Optical, the behavior changes... if that sensor becomes disconnected, the port will indicate CLOSED. This can of importance to some people in some situations, but is not of significance when the ATK is used.
    Even more reason to not use auto-detect. If your kid yanks out the cables or the user didn't seat them quite right, you would want them to failsafe back to CLOSED state for the same reason that up = OPEN is the standard for float switches. The when statement if used would still provide a failsafe, but for those that removed it or have a small tank and left it at default, setting to optical is very important.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Even more reason to not use auto-detect. If your kid yanks out the cables or the user didn't seat them quite right, you would want them to failsafe back to CLOSED state for the same reason that up = OPEN is the standard for float switches. The when statement if used would still provide a failsafe, but for those that removed it or have a small tank and left it at default, setting to optical is very important.
    Well, it is a smaller tank...

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    you would want them to failsafe back to CLOSED state for the same reason that up = OPEN is the standard for float switches.
    Not necessarily. As I said in different words, it depends on the situation; there is no one-size-fits-all. In an ATK, the When provides additional safety measure; if someone removes that or makes it it excessively long, then that is not a normal or typical scenario, and my statement does not really apply.

Up=OPEN is not a "standard"; once again, it depends on the specific situation; there are cases where this is not the better orientation, such as for a high-level float switch in an ATO reservoir used to control automatic refilling from an RO/DI unit; one would want float down = OPEN. The best practice is to orient a float switch so that OPEN is the safer, "take no undesirable action" condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12