Thread: Power Loss Due to Storm - Power Bars renamed

New User

Power Loss Due to Storm - Power Bars renamed

Hi All,

We had a large electrical storm the other night and due to this we lost power, naturally the Apex turned off but what surprised me was not all my correctly names switches turned on when they should have.

Then when the power was restored and the apex re booted, all but one of my 4 Power bars was re named to a different port, Ie Power bar previously on port 3 was now port 7

No cables were changed so I don't understand why the power bar changed its location in the system

I can't speak to why/how this happens, but it is not unheard of. A simple solution would be to add a small UPS and 12VDC adapter to keep the base unit and aquabus supplied with power long enough to ride out most blips.

New User
    I have spent well we never want to know how much we spend on out systems, and many thousands of dollars on the Apex to prevent the loss of my system in-case a loss of power occurs, 90% of power loss fallbacks did not happen. If I was not at home at the time my system would have been reduced to a reef soup.

Is this not one of the major reasons that Apex is here, In the event that a power failure occurs, the fall backs are triggered. Saving the system?

If this does not work then there is a serious problem / Issue with the Apex.

Storms, especially electrical storms, bring about power events that are unpredictable. In general, electronic devices will fare well when power is either completely off or is on and to spec. It's the situations in between those two extremes, i.e., brownouts, over voltage conditions, etc., that are the problem. What would appear to you to be the lights flickering is, to a device dependent on power, equivalent to being beaten repeatedly with a crowbar.

The fallbacks are an excellent solution for many failure scenarios, but no device is going to in every scenario ride out a chaotic power event. If such events occur with any regularity in your area, then some type of power conditioning is definitely worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Regor the Reefer View Post
    In the event that a power failure occurs, the fall backs are triggered. Saving the system?
    Actually, the Fallback option is for loss of communication. If you have a complete and total power loss, then it is moot. Do you have a UPS in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Regor the Reefer View Post
    I have spent well we never want to know how much we spend on out systems, and many thousands of dollars on the Apex to prevent the loss of my system in-case a loss of power occurs, 90% of power loss fallbacks did not happen. If I was not at home at the time my system would have been reduced to a reef soup.

Is this not one of the major reasons that Apex is here, In the event that a power failure occurs, the fall backs are triggered. Saving the system?

If this does not work then there is a serious problem / Issue with the Apex.
    So there is no power in your house but some how the Apex still runs all of your tank equipment? Now that would be quite an accomplishment. As Todd stated the fallback is for the case where the EB looses communication with the main head unit. A UPS would allow you to have both fallback functionality and the ability to run some tank equipment with the power being out.