Thread: New Apex 2016 question

Regular Vistor

New Apex 2016 question

Hello everybody just got the new apex and about to hook it up.
    2 questions , my router is to far away for ethernet at this time so is it ok to just hook up to wifi and do the first updates via wifi instead of the ethernet? and also the eb module , or should i set it up at ethernet location update everything then bring to tank and set it up wifi from there.
    any help or thoughts on this would be helpful
    Thanks

Frequent Visitor
    Wifi is perfectly fine and one of the main reasons for the new version... WiFi is better then Ethernet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Hello everybody just got the new apex and about to hook it up.
    2 questions , my router is to far away for ethernet at this time so is it ok to just hook up to wifi and do the first updates via wifi instead of the ethernet? and also the eb module , or should i set it up at ethernet location update everything then bring to tank and set it up wifi from there.
    any help or thoughts on this would be helpful
    Thanks
    If at all possible, I would connect with an ethernet cable. Lots of people run fine with Wifi, but a quick search of this forum and the user support group on Facebook reveals a litany of issues with wifi drop outs, fusion disconnects and worse (some reports of the brain constantly restarting and even the EB power cycling).

I would do it properly with a pair of powerline adaptors which run networking over your home's power cabling between two plug sockets. They are rock solid and my Apex has been connected this way without any issues for 4 years.

You can setup the Apex and do all the updates via Wifi. Its a huge perk to have the 2016 version. I've ran it this way for over a year without issues. I'm part of the Neptune Insider program (beta test group) and download multiple versions of the new operating systems and firmware updates, all via Wifi without problems.

I've found if your house has poor wifi signal due to having multiple rooms / floors / thick walls etc its a good idea to invest in a wifi extender or wifi repeater to insure you have a strong Wifi signal for the Apex to stay connected. I had a few dropped connections early on before I bought one and it has been solid ever since. Now if I lose connection I know its actually due to losing power at the house or my router losing connection to the internet overall.