Thread: Apex 2016 Set-up with Fusion Not Working

New User

Talking Apex 2016 Set-up with Fusion Not Working

First off, I am not a savvy tech person. So when replying think of how you would explain this all to a 5 year old, that has a basic understanding that when explained very well can comprehend.

I am a Zebrafish Facility Manager at a university where we have a WPA2 secured WiFi internet, therefore, requiring me to use a usernameand password. However, this type of security is not supported by the Apex 2016.We tried setting the monitor into Lock Access Point Mode, but this was not feasible as I couldn’t access the values unless I was logged into Apex_Local while in the facility. Of course, I need to be able to view these values when I am not in the facility.

I have since stopped trying tofind a solution for connecting the Apex 2016 to WiFi and have moved to tryingto connect it with an Ethernet. But, since I am at a university I cannot just plug an Ethernet into a router and follow the instructions in the setup manual. However, the IT technician was able to give meaccess to an Ethernet port with a fixed IP Address. We then went into the Configuration tab, Disabled the DHCP, and set the static IP Address. However,we were then not able to get the Apex 2016 to connect with the dashboard or theFusion App. And, if I had theEthernet cord plugged into the Apex 2016 then I couldn’t even access the Apex.Local as it would stop the WiFi signal from being sent out. I would then have to unplug the Ethernet to even be able to access the Apex_Local website.

The light on the Apex 2016 does change to Orange after the Ethernet is plugged in, so there is some form of recognition happening.

Are there any suggestions about how to get the Apex 2016 to speak with the Fusion app or the dashboard after a local IP address has been assigned to the Apex 2016?

Thanks in advance!

You probably got the gateway and or subnet wrong. Ask the IT guy for those (or hook up a laptop and check them in ip config) and just use Google's DNS servers for the DNS addresses.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

In a commercial or university environment, the IT network can be quite complex and default IT security policies can prevent an Apex from communicating with APEX Fusion. Contact tech support; they can provide detailed information about using an Apex in such environments. You will need to share that info with your university IT department.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Try setting your dns on the apex to google’s 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by inh View Post
    Try setting your dns on the apex to google’s 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
    Corporate and university networks have their own internal DNS servers, and often deliberately block traffic to public DNS servers.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Corporate and university networks have their own internal DNS servers, and often deliberately block traffic to public DNS servers.
    They could sure, but they have to allow some outbound dns. Other wise you wouldn’t be able to get to anything on the interwebz. They could use their ISP’s dns. In most cases they host their own DNS to propagate out to other dns servers on the internet. It’s just a matter if they are blocking dns to find out what they are forwarding too.

I have noticed apex fusion is much more stable with google dns. Then say infoblox or MS Dns from an internal network with forwarding.

It’s been my experience working with enterprise networks most dns traffic outbound is fine. Not saying this will fix the issue as I don’t know the network, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk